1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool Clip: Meshell Playing While Singing

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Meshell is playing while singing plus she uses a Warwick for about half of the song. She then switches to MM Jazz, but I think she actually gets close to her usual tone on the Warwick. I guess the passive thing works better for her:bassist:

2. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I will give it to her, or anyone else for that matter who can sing and play at the same time. :cool:

first time I have seen her iwth a Warwick though.

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, I saw her on her Bitter tour and remember being surprised both by the fact that she was singing while playing and that she was playing a Warwick. I've seen her tours for all of her albums except Cookie, and Bitter was the only tour on which she sang while playing. Her affair with Warwick seems to have been pretty short-lived - I haven't heard of her using her Corvette in quite a while.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Her bands always just kill and guitarist Allen Cato is a beast.:bassist:

5. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    It sure seems easy for her. Cool to see her on a Fender too. Looks like half of a Steve Coleman band on that gig. I saw Sean Rickman with Dapp Thoeory a few years ago and he's a complete nut and a crazy guitarist as well.

6. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    im going to stick my neck out here....i think you will be suprised how singing and playing is not that hard..its all about coordination..I dont really think she plays any intricate stuff in the singing parts..

I have played and sang before, and once you get the two interlocked in a song/bass line you know, the two do tend to flow..

Now singing and improvising..thats the tricky one!

Im a huge fan of Meshell's anyway.. Peace Beyond Passion is just amazing..one of the best musicians alive today!!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Singing and playing is easy for some, but really hard for others. From what I have seen, some people just take to playing and singing much more quickly than others.

8. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I just got no rythym. I can barely play with out screwin up a drummer. Now put a mic in front of me..... MAJOR problems. I have to concentrate way to hard. I love this ladies playin and her singin. Her and Gayle Ann Dorcy... Way too much talent to be sidemen for other artists. they do it well, but I like there own stuff.

9. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I think That just killed!

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    practice one note lines and just talk first..slowly..its co-orination like stated above. Yeah it can be tricky, but simplify..dont try a complicated vocal line or bass line..

Heck, just play quarter notes and repeat a sentence aloud...just for timing , I think we fail when we try to do too much right now, fail, then give up.

Her playing always reminds me of Paul Jackson, and I mean that in the highest possible order and compliment a human can give to another.

11. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I really agree with you here Mike..Try playing any fretted note with 8th notes with a slow tempo, while reading something..anything..Then try singing different notes in the scale while playing the root, up and down the scale in a rythmic pattern....GREAT exercise!!!

At the end of the day the mind is a muscle like any other..some need more exercising more than others...If you have got the timing etc to play bass you CAN do this..I always used to shy away from fingering on the bass that didnt come naturally, but i think its so important to force yourself to master them..same with singing and playing..

When i started playing bass my two hands were not coordinated, but over time they learned to play the bass..

I bet you never thought " i cant play bass, i dont have the coordination"..
    Its the same..you just may have to work a little harder.

12. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    sick tone shes getting from that wick

13. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    She does seem to coax a fantastic honky/warm/punchy tone from instruments she plays..

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's all in those little hands of hers.:bassist: