1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool Concept for a Music-Oriented Website

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PauFerro, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Check out this website design from a jazz composer. Very creative -- almost to the point you think you are in the wrong place, until you access the "restricted area" and then start clicking on the prison floor plan:

The Official Carla Bley Web Site

You like this?

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Interesting concept but not great execution. 1990s web paradigm - imagemaps, ugh.

UI/UX sucks for trying to find what I'm looking for: what do you sound like, what do you look like, where are you playing next, where can I buy your product.

I guess the design works if getting lost is the intended effect.

Haven't looked at in on mobile, but I feel confident that it doesn't scale well to a mobile platform.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree. As a guy who has done web and interface design, this website is awful. It's artsy fartsy, but it's difficult to find the information you are looking for,difficult to browse through it to see what is available, and navigation is not intuitive. Quirky and artsy is OK if it can serve a function, as opposed to being quirky for the sake of being quirky. IMO, it doesn't serve a function other than to obsure the info that's available.

From first glance, I can tell that this site probably won't scale well for different browsers, resolutions, and devices. From fixing sites sorta like this in the 90s, I would guess that it's hard to maintain as well.

musicman7722 likes this.
  4. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    It’s unbelievably super-annoying

Also, it doesn’t work on my phone or iPad. It’s not 1993 anymore.

5. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    But clicking on the other thing also gets you to the prison floor plan...

It's weird (and annoying as others have said). Is there perhaps some other way to present the content, much of which seems to be worthwhile and creatively written?

6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I'll never get that 3 minutes back, thanks.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I am a huge Carla Bley fan. That website is one of my favorites, totally fits with her personality. It's pretty much the same as when it went online over 20 years ago.

BTW, definitely download some of the sheet music...great tunes! Especially this one:

Notice how each time through the simple melody, the harmony underneath is totally different.

PauFerro likes this.
  8. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I agree that functionally, it's a nightmare. But I have to applaud her creativity. I actually left the site thinking it was an error or just plain useless. But something drew me back to try to appreciate what she was doing. After I gave it a second chance, I actually ended up clicking on the whole thin and laughed at a lot of different parts in it.