1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool down a hot bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by myetcetera, May 15, 2011.

1. myetcetera

myetcetera

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    I have a Godin Freeway 4 passive bass. There's a lot I love about it. The body is maple and the stock pickups are hot giving the bass a modern mid rich sound.

I'm looking for a deeper more vintage P sound and am looking at whether or not a pickup switch can get me any closer.

Any ideas? Is a pickup switch a good place to start?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You could try rolling back the volume a little bit. That will attenuate the signal as well as shift the resonant peak lower, effectively mellowing out the sound.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I would suggest NOT throwing water on it.

Ninja edit: EQ should go a long way here.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Throw some standard Fender Precision pickups in there. They are like, $60 on ebay.

5. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
  6. A pickup switch is not a good place to start.

1) Roll off the highs.

2) Install Labella Deep Talkin' flats.

Problem solved (if not immediately, after a few months when the flats settle in.)

Strings can make as much difference in sound as pickups do.

7. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Good point on flats. And I don't think a pickup swap should be the absolute first solution... it's pricey and not totally necessary... but some people think it's the best way to go so I just wanted to help this guy in case he's keeping that option open.

8. myetcetera

myetcetera

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. Rolling the volume back just a bit did make a nice difference and was something obvious that I had not tried. I have had some success playing with my tone knob and a VT Bass pedal.

Ray, I misread your comment and threw a cup of water on my bass. As you predicted, this didn't help. Thanks a lot.

I like the idea of trying a string change. Rather than re-inventing the discussion on strings here, I'll have a look through the string forum.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    In that case, I recommend doing a rain dance. You never know, it might help?

To me it sounds like you're going for a warmer tone (at least, what I'd call a warmer tone). I don't know what for rounds you have on there, but even brand new, bright-as-heck rounds can be tamed down. I'd recommend starting with a "flat" EQ (or something reasonably close to that), and probably boost up the 100/150Hz region, and maybe bring down 5kHz a tad. Pick/pluck closer to the neck than the bridge, too. Keep the tone knob, if you have one, rolled off a bit.

10. It hasn't been mentioned, but sometimes lowering pickups can render a different tone, especially if you think it sounds too hot.

11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Along with the other great suggestions, I would also try to play closer to the neck for a deeper tone.