Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool ebay find....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jul 10, 2004.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    "So there I was, with just seconds to go, preparing to snipe it out from anyone!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3732298246&category=4713

I won the auction, and yes, I did snipe it out in the last minute... my apologies to anyone else that may have been bidding on it. Anyway...

I get it home, and I put it on my formerly maple fretboarded Skyline JO5. I think I like the MIA Lakland neck better than the skyline, and that is where I think the MIA laklands seperate themselves from the pack... the necks are just so stupid fun! IMHO, they feel right, they look right, I rarely have to adjust it, and I have not had one issue with a Lakland fretjob, and I am on the 4th bass (soon to order a hollowbody) and a 5th neck!

Here are the before and after pics.... I think I will have to get a tort shell pickguard, however!

P@

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...now you just gotta find a body that had the neck damaged in shipping...

:D

Nice score, bro!

3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Looks better with the Rosewood fingerboard. Congrats!
    I always preferred the USA necks to the skylines. Isn't it great that there cnc'd to the same specs.
    Fret wise.... Some of the best frets in the business!

I think a pearl white or tort pickguard would make it look that much better!

4. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    what have you noticed about the sonic differences between the two FBs?

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    gosh... wherever might I find something like that? :D

Interestingly enough, I did have to take a piece of sandpaper to one side of the neck... maybe just a scosh of finish came off, but it was slightly larger than the pocket on the JO5...

It seems to me that the standards still apply... with the maple it is a little brighter, with the rosewood a little warmer... I think I may get some sound clips together and see how those come out...

P@