1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool Experience

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kph24, Oct 2, 2009.

1. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    I teach at my local music store and I really good friends with in house repair guy and he was a Master Builder for Ibanez in the 80's and 90's and I have a Peavey Cirrus that someone let me borrow to try that was worn down Broken String Tuner, Green Frets, Shorted input Jack, Loose Strap buttons among other things and he sat me down and help through the steps to fixing it and we got the electronics squared away I just have to clean the frets up and polish the fretboard and restring it and it should be good to go, but I just had a lot of fun working on the bass and I just thought I would share:)

2. Hi.

Working on Your instrument is lot's of fun and also teaches you how to make it to suit your own style better.

What's even more fun, is if a seasoned pro teaches You to do it the right way in the first place. Congrats, that's a rare thing to happen to anyone.

Regards
    Sam

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You have had an auspicious start. Now is the time to continue your education. There is a lot of research available. Pickup a copy of The Guitar Player Guide to Repair by Dan Erlewine. It is the most comprehensive text available. It is also one of the easiest reads.

Welcome to the larger world of luthiery and repair.

4. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    that rocks man, my tech is amazing he did the setup infront of me while we talked and smoked a couple doobies. having seen and had everything explained i could do my setups myself but honestly the $50 is worth it. took my bass from "hey this is alright" to "OMFG this bass rocks my socks off"

5. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    Thanks for the Book info I will post pics when finished hopefully

6. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    I am interested in building a Warmoth bass and I am not quite sure what to build I have P - bass and Jazz bass, I was thinking maybe a 5 string 50's P bass with a single Emg Bar with Flats on an Ebony board.

What do you guys think?

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Periods are stop signs that allow your brain time to try to understand what you just read.