Cool gear your parent(s) had.........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lneal, Jun 26, 2003.

1. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hope this hasn't been done before but even if it has, what the hell, here I go.........

I was just thinking about all the cool vintage gear my dad has owned over the years that is long gone and I wish I had, and it sounded like a good idea for a thread. So tell me about all those cool old Fenders, Gibsons, Ampegs and others that your parental unit(s) sold to buy you a new pair of Chuck Taylors (for us old guys) or Nikes (for you young'uns). Not just basses, but guitars, amps, bass clarinets or whatever. Doesn't have to be collectible, just cool to you. Here's mine:

1956 Precision
    1956 Bassman 4x10 tweed
    1959 Les Paul
    Kay DB (I'm GASsing for a DB BADLY!)
    1961 Gibson SG Guitar cherry finish with block inlays-beautiful!
    1957 Stratocaster

He had lots of other stuff, but that's the stuff I wish I had!
    :cool: :cool:
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Big Chuck had a trombone once, who knows where that is. The piece of vintage gear I most wish he hadn't sold wasn't music related, however. This little piece of history had a 4bbl carb, 400cu. in. engine, 350 HP, and quad exhaust. His '68 Pontiac GTO. I could kick him. He sold it so he could buy a Datsun 280Z, which he now refuses to sell and keeps locked in the garage. Now, I love Z cars, but... it was a GTO... jeez. Come on Dad. :D
  3. My dad recently gave me a 12 string semi hollow guitar.. DOn't ask me the brand.. But is quite well made.. The neck is made of 20 or more pieces of maple.. It had been stored in my granmothers house for 30 years or so..

My parents had some killer stuff but they lost everything..
    My Daddy made a couple of big bass and guitar stacks, but sold them very cheap.. as well as my mother did to an old stereo Rickenbacker :bawl:
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    well my dad used to have a Hammond B-3 and a leslie rotating cab/with amp.

He sold it to a church when he got married, before my sister was born.(shes 24)

Well about 4 years ago my dad bought a Hammond Xk-2 the newer digital Hammond, out now.
    He then bought a leslie about 6 months later.

;) Nostaglic abit. Cosmeticly nothing like the real thing, but yet it sounds just like it.

In the end, theres nothing that can growl like a hammond. Try to put any keyboard's hammond "simulator" up to it....It prolly wont have as strong as a growl!
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well I might win this contest. My grandfather owned a music store in Chicago Heights Illinois. I still remember running around in there as a little tyke. He never would let me touch those pretty early 60's Fender basses and guitars hanging on the walls. No I had to go play a rusty trombone.:spit:
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I love leslies, those things are the coolest. I like the hammonds with the lowest octave that has reversed colored keys.

No cool vintage stuff here:mad:
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Gobs of home studio equipment, full studios worth, unfortunately it's all gone now.
  8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i found a harmonica and a recorder at my grandmas house that belonged to my dad. (he isn't musical) wish it were a 62 j he had instead
  9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    My father played with an early 60's hofner, and later a 62 jazz, through an ampeg b-15.
  10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Not music, but my Dad had a Vincent Black Shadow Motorcycle (V rare for those of you who don't know bikes!).
    It was in the garage for years ..... I think it was eventually "given away" :bawl:
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My dad had a Grabber. He had to sell it to help pay for the honey moon. they are divorced now.
  12. Don't mean to hijack this thread on the Leslie and Hammond front but I know a guy around here who fixes up Hammonds and was perfecting the rotating speaker enclosure idea right around the time that Leslie got into production. He has a barn full of old Hammonds and speakers. He's also got a number of the really old Leslie cabs that are like bits of furniture. Huge things. great sound though.
  13. my dad has a '73 Gibson SG. it's totally cherry.
    he has a 12-string acoustic from way back in the day; but the body sides around the neck collapsed.:(
  14. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    73 fender jazz

and a mint 70's Sunn Stack...

And to top it off....

I get to use it now!
  15. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    My dad had an early 70's Gold Top Les Paul that was real sweet, and a few other assorted Fenders. But the thing I liked the best was a Roland Space Echo, that thing rocked, it was like a delay box that used analog tape, you could make some cool sounds with it.
  16. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    You bastid! :D

Those Space Echos are collectible now. A friend if mine has one, very cool piece.

Let's have some more stuff!! :cool:
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My dad plays a 1976 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 4001. He bought it used for 300 dollars. The only things were he had to replace a bolt on the bridge and buy a new horseshoe. It's still pretty much in mint condition sans a few minor dings on the headstock.

He also has a Sunn Beta Combo. He bought it about 20 years ago by trading in a Fender Bassman 10. The voice coil of the orginal speaker got blown last summer, so he had it replaced with a Peavey Blackwidow. It's also pretty much mint. A living testimony to why you should buy/make/use amp covers on your combos/cabs.

He did have a Fender Musicmaster, but that became my first bass 8 years ago when I started playing.

He has various no name guitars from back in the 60s. One is his first guitar (forget the name) which was bought at a department store. Another is an archtop called a Rythmline. (which sounds beautiful) These were made back when each pickup had it's own plastic switch to turn them on or off.

He also has this cool analog reverb unit (the kind that uses springs). I'm not really sure of the name, but it's about the size of a small amp head. It has standard reverb, vibrato, tremelo, and something else. (echo?) Really cool piece of equipment.
  18. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My dad has a 1950's era Ludwig drum set that he still plays. My uncle has a '59 gold top that he plays almost every gig (a $9000.00 gtr !)

after that, i win the gear battle.:D
  19. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I recieved my grandfathers Oahu Publishing Co. Hawian slide guitar he bought new in 1939 for $50!.

I also got all of his old "and original" vinyl. Louis Armstrong, Johnny Cash, Billie Holliday, Bing Crosby.... among many others. (about 400 total).

The other amazing pieces I recieved from him was his 1918 M97 shotgun and his Springfield Model 1795 flintlock musket from somewhere around 1813.

I go and see him often and we talk music!

20. Jona-s

Mar 22, 2006
    One Gibson copy bass which my dad bought when he was a kid. The brand is ''Dia''. That's the one I got started with. Still have it there.