Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool idea with glow sticks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blackmetal27, May 12, 2002.

1. hey, think this is a cool idea for my next gig. break glow sticks into a bucket, have lights fade to black, then dip our hands into the bucket and play with glowing hands.

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I don't know whats in glow sticks, but I would want to find out before I got it on my hands and instrument. It would look cool though :D

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I found this out in the Army (late night guard duty in the field really is a drag): You can cut a glowing stick open, wipe some of the fluid on your teeth (it's non toxic) and your teeth are visible from about 50 yards!:eek: :cool:

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Kind of like Mark Knopfler?

5. better idea - mix it into some gel and spike your hair with it. you'd look badass. i wish my hair was straight enough to do that...

6. DO NOT DO IT UNDER ANY CERCUMSTANCE!

that shiz nit is toxic... thats why its in the plastic thing... and it can possibly eat the paint off your bass... ive seen it eat through car paint.....

plus you have the fact that you might actually get the glass on your hands.... THAT is what sucks....

Salaam and dont do it black metal 27

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    There is a web site (lost the URL, but Google would probably find it) that sells all kinds of glow-in-the-dark stuff, including nail polish, hair sprays, body paints, invisible paint etc. Invisible paint could be cool on a 'stage' bass - it doesn't show under normal light at all, it is transparent. Switch on the 'black' light, and bingo!

8. Sims Custom is this funny little company obsessed with instruments and lasers. They make custom necks with LEDs in them, in addition to lasers implanted into headstocks, drumsticks and even gloves with lasers on them, so you can play and blind your bandmates, the audience and even yourself!

they're pretty expensive for a novelty though,

www.simscustom.com

check it out.

But yeah, I hope you're not seriously considering doing that,...you could try black light body paint, that would work a lot better.

My friend (whose big on the goth/s&M/whatever) circuit saw this band that wears black light face paint, they play in black light so they're faces are all green and purple and stuff, and they pull on their faces. Its freaky...or so I've heard (I haven't had the guts to go to one of their shows)

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my brother when he was little was chewing on a glow stick when it broke in his mouth.

hilarious, and made a mess in the car, but it didn't hurt him.

i wouldn't deliberately put it in my mouth though, maybe my hair but not my mouth.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I guess the Army made me badass enough to withstand it...... :D

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Save yourself the trouble and expense of the sticks and pick up a small jar of phosphorescent paint.

During the Acid Wars of the late 60's and early 70's, I had pants that I wore onstage which had designs airbrushed on using the paint.

I got a bunch of it on my hands painting posters with it on the walls of my room and my hands glowed all night.................no wonder kids turn to drugs. :rolleyes: