cool Jaco Relic EBay listing....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 24, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice lookin' Jaco Relic, Fred. The Fort Lauderdale pitch is bunk, of course. But those basses are about $3k new, even with an insider discount. Nice touch to include the Jaco audio, too.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i didn't really read the ad...i just listened.

3. [​IMG]

wow- they even wear off the back of the neck.
    I suppose the only thing that isn't as on the real thing is the chunks missing from the rosewood fingerboard when it was defretted, and filled in with wood putty.

the inclusion of the Fender cleaning cloth is ironic- Fender threw that in so you can preserve the bass in that very condition?:p
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i am a huge jaco fan,i am a member of his website and inter-act on a daily basses with a bass discussion forum not un-like this, this is an awesome bass and is pretty close the exact but as you read the add they build it up like its going to be his actual bass, it urks the hell out of me that regular joe's like me cannot afford a "replica bass" like this one just because it has a jacoesque mysteke to it, if any one of us saw a bass like this one 10 yrs old and worn to hell we would offer the person a couple hundred bucks and only cause of the brand of the bass would we do so,this thing will top out in the 5000.00$ i'm not complaining,well yes i am BUT, I HATE THE FACT THAT YOU GOT TO TAKE OUT A LONE JUST CAUSE THE BASS HAS A NAME ON IT! DAMN-IT:mad: :spit: :bawl:
  5. You can find good deals on these basses. I bought mine new from a retailer for under 2K. It is a fantastic instrument, well worth what I paid for it, IMO. Beautiful tone and that neck - it's the best of any Fender I've played. Must be the chicken grease ;)

6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Really? Wow, I was quoted $3K the only time I checked on it and led to believe that was a significant discount! I'd be interested if they're obtainable new for less than 2. Cool. :cool:
  7. Holy cow! I can feel the MOJO from here!
  8. ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Dare I ask which Jaco song that was in the ebay auction? (I'm Jaco-deficient at the moment)
  9. All that Fort Lauderdale stuff is total BS, and the guy's not even accurate with his spiel. To my rememberance, Jaco was killed in 1987, not 1989.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well they have one of these in my local music shop down the road - and it has big sign on it saying don't play without permission, presumably because of the £2,000 price tag - so's going to get more knocks - who cares? ;)
  11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    1987. August I think.
  12. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    drools.. oh baby, I hope someone's going to give that a good home.

Seriously, that's a great pitch but I'm not buying into the whole Florida thing. They might as well have said that they flew the bass to Japan and threw it into the sea for extra authenticity.

Bruce, what shop was the bass in? I love to try the bass out, assuming they'll let me.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Well the point is they're not that rare - so the shop in Brighton is not that good for basses and they have one - I've seen one in Denmark Street in London as well - I think most Fender dealers have them.

I can't see they're that special - it's not going to make you play like Jaco :rolleyes: - the Jaco signature is about half the price and you could relic it yourself if you really have to!! Or just get a 62 Jazz re-issue.

There are so many Jazz bass replicas about I just don't see that this is anything to get excited about - I could have tried the one in Brighton but have no desire to do so....I just thought the sign was funny - ironic, when it is already the most beaten-up bass in the shop!! :D
  14. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Bruce, I know that believe me! When I was much younger I got the Yamaha Billy Sheehan Attitude bass for that very reason, and I quickly learned that having a signature bass does not make you play like its founder. Not only that, but the bass's looks were making claims about my playing that I couldn't back up.

I am in the market for a quality fretless and I love J basses. I'm strongly considering the Jaco model (not relic) simply because it seems like a high quality fretless.

I've haven't seen any of the Jaco basses yet, so I would definitely journey down to Denmark St. just to try it out. I can't explain why, but I'd love to know personally what this relic feels like to play and hold.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I wasn't saying that I thought "you" particularly thought like this - just stressing, that I don't see the value of having a bass like this - I don't see what it gives you, over say a 62 re-issue - and I especially don't see why anyone would pay more for this. :confused:

I can only see it as a triumph of "Marketing" over common sense! :(
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's the fun way, just beating the crap out of the thing! :D

Personally, I don't understand the point of the relic bass. I mean, it's the same as the regular Jaco sig right - just made to look authentic? You're not gonna sound any more like Jaco with it - but you'll look like more of a Jaco-wannabe... And for this, you pay double? :confused:
  17. I gotta agree with Bruce (and by the looks of it a lot of you guys here). If I was gonna shell out £2000/$2000 I'd want the thing to be immaculate, brand soanky new and looking it! For me, that's the end of the story!:)
  18. You know, I thought the same thing - why pay for someone else to beat up the bass. But I tell ya, at least the Jaco Relics I have played are NOT like the Sig model or a '62 RI, or any other new Fender I have played. It is simply one of the best fretless basses I have ever had in my hands. I would prefer it not look beat to crap if I could still get the tone and the feel of my Relic.

IMO, it's a very special instrument and everyone who has played it agrees.

I would not recommend getting one because you might think they look "cool" (I don't necessarily think they do), but because the sound and play wonderfully.

19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So is the relic not the same bass as the sig? :confused:

Other than the fact of it being beaten up - what is the difference...?