1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool jazz bass knobs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Nov 5, 2018.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have replaced the cheap-o pots in my Squier Jazz with all CTS pots with solid 1/4” brass shafts. Now I need new knobs.

I seem to really like the original black Jazz knobs because they have the white marker on them, good enough to see position with a quick glance.

Are there any cool-looking pots out there that have a similar marker on them? I usually use black dome knobs on my basses, but I think for this one, I need something different...

FA39776A-5044-4D5E-A40F-3101D115489B.

If not, then i’ll just get a set of USA jazz knobs...

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A33991BC-E93F-4C55-B1A6-96E1DE4EFC90.

These don’t have that mark but I like flat top p knobs on jazz basses.

3. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I use chrome knobs like that on a number of basses. No, they don't have indicator lines on them, but if the pots have solid shafts, here is what I do:

When installing the knobs, position all the puts full up. Then position the knobs so that the set screws all point in the same direction. I like them pointed directly at me. When playing, I can take a quick look and see if they are full up or are positioned within the upper half of the pot adjustment range.

Image 2018-11-05_13-48-28-100.

ELG60 likes this.
  4. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I generally don’t look at my bass knobs when I’m playing, it’s all by feel. I also prefer the feel of P-bass style barrel knobs and have them on most of my basses. These are kind of fun though, and the rubber is soft and grippy which is nice.
    8292965A-AA0B-4E70-A4F7-36250EC2471E.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    urei-1176-black-face-rev-f-front.

lowphatbass likes this.
  7. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Good eye.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  8. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I do this, too. The set screw is my marker.

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Paul, those knobs were quite familiar to me. :)

lowphatbass likes this.
  10. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    The set screws are my markers as well. I actually had a markless bass, I used a silver thinline marker to mark the top of the knob and made a faint line on the bass for the sweet spot reference.

11. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I actually had removed them from a 710 I had mounted in my rack and was using for live work, they were hanging out in the parts bin. I quickly realized that under stage lighting the white line on the clear plastic hat wasn’t always easy to see. While I never look at my bass knobs I do like to know my amp settings.

BCB61387-F587-49FD-802A-5C2743721F6B.

12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Ebay has thousands of listings for knobs. Standard Jazz style are available in many colors. Just be sure you get 1/4" rather than the smaller 6mm which won't fit CTS pots.

13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Those knobs look real nice on the 710, far more in keeping with the aesthetic of the overall design. I'd find a matching small one to put on the "Blend" control.

14. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    [/QUOTE]

I would’ve except that knob, historically hasn’t seen much action.

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Doesn't it bother you that all the toggle switches go up and down, except for the power switch which goes left to right? :D

16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Sorry: I thought this was a thread about fans of bass in cool jazz. Please continue. :bag:

17. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Well it didn’t used to.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I want to see the rest of this bass.

19. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I'm a huge fan of Fender amp style knobs. I don't know if they'll fit on your pots though.

20. Check out a hardware store. I was looking for some screws at our local place and noticed in the bulk screw section they had some drawers with different knobs in them. I got some that were similar to the normal black jazz knobs but different enough to be, well, different. They had various sizes of chicken head knobs and others with pointers. This was at a small local place so a store like Lowes or HD would probably have lots more selection.

BnB