cool jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    okay, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes. i want a fender fretless jazz bass. but i want one when you take off the pickguard its like jacos bass. on my MIM fretted jazz bass, when you take off the pickguard theres a little "canal" type thing with some wires exposed by the conrtol knobs. i know jacos was a 60's or 70's bass, but i want a rather affordable one....thanks. one more thing, i dont want the fender jaco custom bass, hehe, not enough $$$.

2. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    not gonna happen. look for older jbasses on ebay and such. im not sure what year they started routing like that (which sucks, i have it like that on my 00 mia jbass) but look for something before that. its gonna cost ya.
  3. Essex basses don't have the huge cavities, but you will still have the screwholes from the pickguard.

I don't think they have the sunburst option on jazzes though.
  4. If you want the vibe and still keep it a Fender and less expensive look specifically for the Japanese made '62 reissue Jazzes for at least the range of years of 89 - 96. These are particularly undervalued as players and you can get them in the $250-$300 range easily. I have one of each of these - one fretless, the other fretted - and neither have the wiring channel. Ebay has examples of these regularly - that's where I got the fretted.
  5. Get a '70s Fender. They're way cheaper than the '60s ones, dont have the "canals", and still have the proper green 'burst under the pickguard.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My '83 Am Std doesn't have those "canals" you don't want. And as was already said, the Japanese re-issues.
  7. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    where can i look at some of these essex basses?
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member
  9. I can't speak for all of the Essex basses, but my SJB-62 does have a large routing cavity for the wiring and pickups. You can't remove the pickguard and play it Jaco style.
  10. Chaos, you know, that's really wierd cause mine doesn't the huge cavities at all. But I have the 70's copy. I wonder what that's all about?
  11. Mine is the 62 re-issue copy. The pick up cavity isn't huge, but not as tight as the Jaco sig, or the older jazz basses. It wouldn't look good without the pickguard.