Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool Lakland video (9 min.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Sep 4, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Scroll down past "Hedonism III" and you'll see a picture of Dan, waiving. Click on the "Hi/Res" link and you'll get a nice, guided tour of the factory and you'll even get to hear Dan play a little on a fretless and the hollowbody. A little further down the page, there's also an interview with Greg Rzab (Black Crowes) in which he discusses Laklands.

http://www.sureshotproductions.com/corporate_video.html

:bassist:

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmmm....I couldn't play it.

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I don't know...maybe you need RealPlayer. I just tried again and it works fine for me.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Shame, he said it played very good, he meant very well. Video was kind of boring though, I mean it's neat to see the whole shop and all, but I wish he gave more detailed info.

5. Neither could I.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Downloaded a new version of RP and it played. Seems like they dole out a lot more work to other people than I thought- did I misunderstand it or do they not do the finishing themselves?

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think they finish the necks themselves, but not the bodies.

8. Mr. Lakin is not a very good tour guide...

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just watched the videos.

The don't do anything regarding the bodies except populate them with stuff. I'd like to know who's doin' all their wood for them!

The necks come to them finished, but unfretted. They do their own fretting/leveling, which Dan says is the key to their stuff... the hand set up.

The one kind of "finish" work they do is to laminate their name on the headstock, and also to do an oil treatment to the back of the neck. Other than that, they do design, frets, elex, and setup, and that's it.

Wouldn't it be interesting if we found out someone like Carvin or Warmoth was doing all their woodwork? :)

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I haven't seen it yet. Is it this way for the USAs as well as the Skylines?

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No, just the USA's. They do way less with the Skylines... all they do is populate with elex and final setup (truss rod, bridge).

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How do you know they don't make the bodies? Was that in the video or was it previous knowledge?

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It was in the video very plainly stated.

"...start with a raw body, and we have these made to our specifications."

"Once we receive these bodies, we sand them, and then send them out for paint..."

Later he talks about "receive the neck", and "the work that's done after this point is the real critical handwork that makes our basses play the way they do, which is real good."

Personally, I was a bit disappointed, but I know their basses are awesome, so whomever's doing it is damn good.

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'll have to watch it again, I missed that part.

[Edit] D'oh, it was in the first 30 seconds too. I don't know how I missed it. :)

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Posted some quotes (edited my post).

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Mmm. Makes me think you'd be just as well off getting a Warmoth and just having one of their luthiers do the fretwork and setup.

17. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I heard that Wildwood did the bodies for them, don't know who does the necks but it really doesn't matter to me.

My thought is - with CNC machines, Lakin is right, it is the final stages that are the most critical - after selection of the wood. I'm sure they have tight specs on the necks as all of the USA necks I've tried are similar. On the finish,who would you rather have do it - some guy in the shop or someone like Pat Wilkins, who is probably the best around.

I really don't have a problem with basses done that way, as long as the final stages and QC are well done.

Yes, I have a deluxe 55-94 - NICE bass!

Basses

Dan K.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I wouldn't hesitate to get a Lakland if I had the money and the right opportunity, and this video doesn't change that. I was a little disappointed to find out they farmed out so much in their USA stuff, but that doesn't change my opinion about their quality, and that's what you're paying for.

P.S. Nice basses, Dan! I also have an MTD 535 (tho mine's a 24 with a maple burl top/headstock, maple/ebony neck), and I LOVE it. What's the top/headstock on yours?

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the video is awesome!!