1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool Lesser Known tunes from the Real Book?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by PauFerro, Mar 8, 2018.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Just wondering if anyone has discovered tunes from the Real Book series (the illegal or the legalized series) that are very cool, but lesser known? Interesting chord changes? Memorable melodies? Outside of the typical songs people play?

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I first came on Jobim's "If You Never Come To Me" in the old illegal Real Book.

What a gorgeous tune. The melody goes up by half steps. The chords go down by half steps. Why didn't I think of that? Because I'm not Jobim!

mtto, oldNewbie and Don Kasper like this.
  3. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I expect we'll have different experiences according to local culture, but here are some from RB1 that we've enjoyed working with and are rarely heard around here:

Chelsea Bridge
    Come Sunday
    Conference of the Birds
    Ecclusiastics
    Follow Your Heart
    I Remember Clifford
    Little Waltz
    Nostalgia in Times Square
    Peggy's Blue Skylight
    Pussy Cat Dues
    Skating in Central Park

mtto likes this.
  4. I love that tune! I play that with my folk-based 'Gospel' trio (arco bass droning the chord structure), & it's getting to where we can almost pull it off.

"Nostalgia in Times Square"

When I played with a jazz band a while back, this was one of our favorite tunes to play.

mtto likes this.
  5. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I love the song Jelly Roll by Charles Mingus, but it's the only song my band wouldn't play after I introduced it. We played it a couple times and the drummer and KB player both said they didn't like it. Which was odd for them. They said without the trombone part in the head the song lost its magic..

6. I always loved that this tune was included in the original real book.

I'll also add "Afro Blue", although it's a fairly popular song, I don't seem to catch many covers of it.

7. How about arco bass playing the trombone part??? -:)

8. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Afternoon in Paris.