1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool music documentaries to watch while working out.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 18, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, it finally happened. I dusted off the eliptacle machine that had been a fancy coat rack and got on the thing tonight. At some point I'll switch over to other workout routines. But for now, this thing gets all my muscles pumping, including my heart.

And I get bored super easy. So one of the challenges for me has been sticking to working out.

I also love music of all kinds. And I love the history of music (including recent history).

I started watching "The Terry Kath Experience" a while back and never got through it. Tonight, that got me through a hard 45 minutes of the "endurance" routine on my eliptacle. (I highly recommend it even if you are not a huge CTA or classic Chicago fan. Thay guy was a beast.) I was able to stay focused on the movie and not the timer. (My old spare laptop will now be my workout "TV". I just bought a set of Westone IEMs from @Maiden Bass and they make to music sound incredible.)

I know I want to watch "Can't Stand Losing You" about the Police next.

But don't let those two choices fool you. I like all kinds of music.

I have already seen the Motown, Muscle Shoals, and Wrecking Crew docs several times (love them all).

But what else should I check out? What's a good documentary, or even a concert, to watch? Are there documentaries about gear, like amp or guitar companies?

I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and, of course, YouTube.

Thanks in advance. And wish me luck sticking to this! I'm not fat by any stretch. But I'm just not as "in shape" as I wanna be.

By the way, I'm also a US history fan. So, if you know of anything in that area that would be interesting, lay it on me!

Thank you in advance.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds SUSPENDED

Oct 7, 2016
    Not really documentaries, but:

That thing you do
    The doors (movie)
    Walk the line

I’ve enjoyed those movies. Music based fiction.

two fingers likes this.
  3. The Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways is very good.

oZZma, DirtDog, fhm555 and 1 other person like this.
  4. corndog

corndog Supporting Member

Great thread topic.

A few I've seen that stood out to me.

It Might Get Loud is pretty cool,

Who Shot the Sheriff on NETFLIX. Very interesting....a documentary on the assassination attempt of Bob Marley and the political violence that swept over the country in the 70's.

The Tragically Hip full concert at Woodstock 99 on youtube. The Hip at their absolute peak, great video and sound quality. Most of their classic songs are there and Gord Downey is on fire.

I love some of the Brass Against stuff on youtube as well.

two fingers likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Here’s some of my favorites

Lowell George Feats First

Ghost Blues the story of Rory Gallagher

Introducing Roy Buchanan The World’s Greatest Unknown Guitarist

Johnny Winter Down and Dirty

Black Crowes: Who Killed That Bird Out On Your Windowsill

Graham Parsons Fallen Angel

Down From The Mountain

Transatlantic Sessions
    is the collective title for a series of musical productions by Glasgow-based Pelicula Films Ltd, funded by- and produced for BBC Scotland, BBC Four and RTÉ of Ireland.

two fingers likes this.
  6. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
  7. -title-kids-are-alright-the-film-director-jeff-stein-year-1979-credit-the-who-films-album-P4KK8T.

It's good for a larf.

slobake and two fingers like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

slobake and two fingers like this.
  9. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    I watch Storage Wars every morning while I ride my bike. I am madly in love with Mary Padian. I have found a most wonderful website called Instantwatcher.com. You can search Amazon Prime and Netflix. If you search AP with the term 'classic album' you will find a whole bunch of great programs about classic albums like U2 Joshua Tree, Peter Gabriel So and Elton's GYBR. Search with the term lists over 2000 videos. Great site.

Amazon - instantwatcher - New Prime

two fingers likes this.
  10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Dig! is the craziest music doc ever made. Those guys are nuts.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    corndog and two fingers like this.
  11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I enjoyed the Hulu doc on the Beatles. The end was a full length performance of Don't Let Me Down on the rooftop. One of my favorite songs of all time. Netflix used to have a good one on Levon Helms.
    The doc by Lady Gaga was pretty good. It gives an insight into just how much freaking work it takes to be a pop idol. It primarily focuses on the making of her album Joanna and the preparation for the Super bowl performance. There's a little bit of Tony Bennett in there too. Its enjoyable, even for a guy who's not really a fan. There is a long doc about Pink Floyd that interviews damn near everyone they ever talked to and covers from their school days all the way through the Division Bell.

two fingers likes this.
  12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Which one's Pink? is the name of the Pink Floyd doc. Sound City is another good one.

GBBSbassist and two fingers like this.
  13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Beyond the Lighted Stage

RUSH doc.

two fingers likes this.
  14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

The Blind Boys of Alabama "Go Tell It On The Mountain Live in New York"
    A recording of the Blind Boys doing their annul Christmas show. Joining them are Aaron Neville, Chrissie Hynde, Mavis Staples, Michael Franti, Robert Randolph, Duke Robillard, John Modeski and Charlie Musselwhite.

S-Bigbottom and two fingers like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That sounds awesome. I saw them with Robert Randolph and the Family Band years ago. Great show.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    An Ox tale-the story of John Entwistle. Amazon Prime

two fingers likes this.
  17. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The Tom Petty story is amazing. Its six hours long, and I still wanted more when it ended.

DirtDog and two fingers like this.
  18. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet is one of my favorites.

two fingers likes this.
  19. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    "The Last Waltz," if you like The Band and haven't watched it 30 times already ... ;)

two fingers likes this.
  20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you haven’t seen this yet, it’s time:

two fingers and DirtDog like this.