Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool music/places/happenings in Prague or Venice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Danny Adair, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Howdy gang,

Thanks to working my *** off over the past 12-18 months at work, a pretty swell company, and a freakishly amazing mortgage market, my girlfriend and I will be going to Europe on an incentive trip this May. After the company portion is completed, we will be extending the trip for a few days in Prague.

Is anyone familiar with Prague? Anyone hip to some cooler areas, clubs, or bands? I should mention that by clubs I *DO NOT* mean techno or dance clubs - they're swell places, just not for me. That could be a given here on the DB side, but it's worth mentioning...

Also, we'll have an unplanned afternoon and evening in Venice before heading to Prague, so if anyone happens to be familiar with coolness there, please share.

As always, thanks!

2. You should be able to find good jazz in Praga. There was a jazz club close to our hotel where Chuck Israels had the house band. I'd have to do some heavy head scratching to remember the street. As for Venice, in the short time available, I'd recommend you just totally absorb as much of the local scene as possible. You can get a great overview from the Grand Canal by taking the "bus", i.e., the small passenger ferries that the locals use. They're cheap (the water taxis are ridiculous), they run terminal to terminal all day, you can jump off and on as you please. Enjoy.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I went to Prague (on tour) a couple of years back. As I recall, there was something of a decent Jazz scene going on there, however unfortunately there wasn't really much of a chance to check it out.

What I do remember is that it was pretty cold (this was in February).

4. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    when i was jazz-hunting in prague four years ago i found it to be one of the easier (and cheaper) places in europe to see good local jazz. going back through my journals, here are a couple of clubs i checked out: 'Agharta' and 'U Maleho Glena'. i don't have any notes about where in the city they are, but the tourist office helped me find them and can probably do the same for you. i seem to remember finding several other clubs (maybe six in total) that had live jazz regularly, so you're in for a treat.

i didn't find anything in venice, but i didn't look as hard.

have fun!

sean p

5. I don't have anything helpful as far as Jazz clubs, but I can tell you that I loved Praugue and I am envious. It's a great city. I did stumble on a couple of places with jazz, but I have no idea where they were. I just did a lot of wandering around and I got lucky.

6. Woo-Hoo Praha!!

Loved that city! I didn't get a chance to visit any of the jazz clubs - but if you get a chance, go up to the Fortress/Castle above the city. Just outside the main gates perform a classical trio (bassist/violin/accordion or similar) & they are great! I was there in the winter & they were playing in the snow, laughing & having a great time.

Also keep in mind, they had horrible flooding this past fall & a lot of Prague's clubs are basement locales - they may not have re-opened.

:bawl: < me jealous of your trip

7. Prague is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. I was there in March of 2002 , my son was there in February of this year.He's also a Muso!
    Regarding Jazz , there's HEAPS of it! You will hear it throughout the "Old Town"... Little quartets set up at various places and play with an open Alto Case or the like with the hope of a few crowns being deposited.

Look out for Jazz on the Charles Bridge.... and go there even if their aint NO JAZZ. It's worth the walk.I was lucky enough to sit in with a Four piece Jazz unit performing on the Charles Bridge...I asked them if they knew "St James Infimary" which they did and I played DB and sang the tune with them.
    The band was called "Jazz No Problem" They also sold CD's from the clarinet players case. I bought one....Not Bad, just a little Traddie!

Jazz Clubs to look for Metropolitian Club , Agharta Jazz Centrum , Cafe De Paris, 120 Days Club....to name just a few...all within walking distance from the old town square. Although my SON tells me that some of these may still NOT be operating due to the BIG floods they had at the beginning of the year!

Lastly, when you cross the Charles Bridge from the old town side you get to "KAMPA" island just before you enter Mala Strana"Little Quarter" look to your left from the bridge and you will see a Music Shop.... Go down the stairs and wind around the lane till you get to front of the Music Shop....climb the stairs and your eyes will feast upon a selection of about 35 -45 BEAUTIFUL D/Basses. Czech , Italian, German.... and many more! The only question now is ..... How do I get it home.... remember I live in AUSTRALIA.... :confused:

That was a real BUMMER!

Have a...YES YOU WILL ...Great trip!:)

8. Wow - thanks, folks, for all the cool suggestions and advice! Keep 'em coming! :)

9. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Gonna go to Prague on Wednesday.
    Is there any Rockabilly, Swing or stuff along those lines? Any venues with Roots Music?
    Suggestions appreciated!

10. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Went to Prague's oldest jazz club "Retuda" on Saturday. The Original Prague Syncopated Orchestra was playing old Dixieland Jazz. GREAT STUFF! Although the bass was bowed most of the time, I really enjoyed it! I was more than impressed by the great female singer. She had a beautiful voice and definitely succeeded in emulating a Southern accent.
    Man, I had a BLAST!