Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool - my band split up today, and I feel good!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 1, 2004.

1. God, my band split up today and I am so relieved - it's like I've been dating someone for two years and it just wasn't quite right - though in a wierd way i am genuinely sad about it, that and the fact I travelled 120 miles round trip for about a year for rehearsals - that cost me a fortune! The good news is that we had two problem members (the drummer and rhythm guitarist) and rather than spend six months trying to replace them, the singer/lead guitarist has joined a band with much better prospects and a potential deal, thus avoiding more agonising gigs and time wasted, plus we're still friends - the one thing I will say though is that were actually really good live.

But we were a rock band and now even at the age of 31 I just feel like I want to leave this stuff to younger musicians. It's not like I want to go and play country or show tunes all of a sudden - I just want to do something more satisfying musically, like the girlfriend analogy, she might have a great body but I need a bit more 'upstairs' now to really get off on this musically. I have to finally admit that i am a jazz/funk bass player - with a passion for good writing and singing - but not for nu-metal any more - how ****ing sad is that! I am showing my age here - but if any of you have been through similar growing pains it'd be cool to hear your thoughts.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I recently made a last valiant attempt at playing music that was palatable to the rock radio masses but really not doing anything for me personally. I quit. I felt good. OTOH, I have been struggling to find a band that really does fill my musical needs. I play with a guy on Wednsdays who's a musical genius, which is fufilling in it's own way, but I'd like to get that band vibe going again too. I think I have weird requirements now.

Anyway, congrats! It's a cool moment in time when you recognize it!

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Cool, now you can come join my band. Hope you like odd time signatures.

4. might have to work those dude

5. I like rock music. More like a traditional 'classic rock' sound. I don't like downtuned guitars, I don't like drop tunings. Stuff like the Foo Fighters and STP is my idea of good "modern rock." About 4 years ago (ironically, when I was about 31...) I took a job in a "nu-metal" type band. So here's doofy me, playing in a cookie monster vocal band playing like I'm Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick. Square Peg, Round Hole. I loved the guys in the band, couldn't stand the music. I quit, there were no hard feelings. I was bass player #11 in that band. They broke up around 2-3 bass players (a year or so) later.