1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool - my band split up today, and I feel good!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 1, 2004.

1. God, my band split up today and I am so relieved - it's like I've been dating someone for two years and it just wasn't quite right - though in a wierd way i am genuinely sad about it, that and the fact I travelled 120 miles round trip for about a year for rehearsals - that cost me a fortune! The good news is that we had two problem members (the drummer and rhythm guitarist) and rather than spend six months trying to replace them, the singer/lead guitarist has joined a band with much better prospects and a potential deal, thus avoiding more agonising gigs and time wasted, plus we're still friends - the one thing I will say though is that were actually really good live.

But we were a rock band and now even at the age of 31 I just feel like I want to leave this stuff to younger musicians. It's not like I want to go and play country or show tunes all of a sudden - I just want to do something more satisfying musically, like the girlfriend analogy, she might have a great body but I need a bit more 'upstairs' now to really get off on this musically. I have to finally admit that i am a jazz/funk bass player - with a passion for good writing and singing - but not for nu-metal any more - how ****ing sad is that! I am showing my age here - but if any of you have been through similar growing pains it'd be cool to hear your thoughts.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I recently made a last valiant attempt at playing music that was palatable to the rock radio masses but really not doing anything for me personally. I quit. I felt good. OTOH, I have been struggling to find a band that really does fill my musical needs. I play with a guy on Wednsdays who's a musical genius, which is fufilling in it's own way, but I'd like to get that band vibe going again too. I think I have weird requirements now.

Anyway, congrats! It's a cool moment in time when you recognize it!

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Cool, now you can come join my band. Hope you like odd time signatures.

4. might have to work those dude

5. I like rock music. More like a traditional 'classic rock' sound. I don't like downtuned guitars, I don't like drop tunings. Stuff like the Foo Fighters and STP is my idea of good "modern rock." About 4 years ago (ironically, when I was about 31...) I took a job in a "nu-metal" type band. So here's doofy me, playing in a cookie monster vocal band playing like I'm Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick. Square Peg, Round Hole. I loved the guys in the band, couldn't stand the music. I quit, there were no hard feelings. I was bass player #11 in that band. They broke up around 2-3 bass players (a year or so) later.