$%@$ Cool Nature stuff.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tufnuts, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Cool. The locusts that are in the ground for 7 years are hatching around my house. I finally caught one in the act. It's just about done metamorphing and should fly off real soon...his little wings just need to dry still.

2. And here's a better one...with the wings just about done. Plus it's less green..and more brown. So the exterior shell's almost done. I think these bugs are the coolest of em all. I've prolly found 20-25 shells around my house during the last week.

3. That's about it..just wanted to see if anyone else had some cool pics/stories of things in nature that just made you go "Wow"

Childbirth goes w/o saying....so no pics of that please :D A Friend of mine will be havin a child here in about a week or so....that's not something I really wanna see again lol.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    spiders always amaze me... see any of the special programs on Discovery channel
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    JESUS! the first one is bigger than my hand!
  6. When I was a kid in Central FL we had a period of time that there were some enormous grasshoppers all over the place. I mean ENORMOUS!- in the 4" - 5" range. There was a huge variety of colors and patterns. They didn't seem to do anything unusual, just sit on the ground and, of course, get crunched by 8 year old little boys. I understand there is another swarm of this type down there now.

Then there was the first "love-bug" swarm I ever saw. It was in 1969 or 1970 on the west coast. These things were as thick as fog. You couldn't drive 2 miles without your windshield getting totally "gutted" with the things. People were pulled over on the road with overheating engines because they had clogged the radiator. They had a peculiar nasty odor when splatted in that quantity too.
  7. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  8. There ya go...cicadas. I actually like the things, not too creepy. Must be the eye shape. Plus, they just make summer seem like summer. The cicada sound just lets you know.
  9. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    umm... I've got a pet snake i caught on my front porch a few months ago. I'm really not all that crazy about bugs though. They can do what they want... as long as it doesnt involve me.