1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool! New M3 Carbine Head and (1x12) Combo...but

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pudgychef, Apr 21, 2010.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
  2. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yep, the M3 looks pretty stripped down. I played through the single 12 powerhouse cabinet they are pairing it with, and it's a nice sounding little cab. Tried it with an SWR Headlite, very agressive sounding, gets loud without a ton of power. Could be a pretty potent small combo, but not real light if weight is a concern.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The M3 is a bit of an oddball for Mesa. Stripped down to the absolute basics. But, for a 300 watter, the Walkabout is still king.

4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    The M3 is a budget amp; they stripped it down to bring the cost down.
    +1 on the Walkabout; great sound for a 1x12" combo.
    I just bought the M6 Carbine 2x12" combo - it's a hulking beast of a combo amp, and I can feel its sound almost as much as hear it. The M6 sports the contour adjustment and the player control network, as well as the tri-ported cab, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm just going to avoid stairs from now on...

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I still don't get a 13lb 300 watt SS stripped down head......for 800?????? I had hoped to hear some magic tone dust stories by now, but in spite of my love for my Walkabout and M9 I just don't get the M3 product concept. Perhaps if it were under 10 lbs or 500 bucks..... For only a few more rubles the M6 totally outshines it on my radar.

........just my .02, admittedly without having heard it.......any true believers out there?

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    agreed about the stairs... but damn does the (M6) combo sound good! :bassist:

sorry to derail the thread..

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The M3 really appeals to me in concept, however I have not yet played it. I found the M6 to have more power than needed and didn't like the voice control (gimmicky is how I would describe it). If I didn't have a setup that i really liked the M3 would be on my short list.