Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool New Miles Davis Book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VJP, Apr 22, 2005.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    If your into Miles music from 1980 on, theres a cool new book out called "The Last Miles: The Music of Miles Davis, 1980 - 1991"

It chronicles how he came out of retirement, has interviews with almost all band members from that period, including Marcus, Darryl Jones, Tom Barney, Mike Stern, etc.

The book also tells in detail how each album came about, how bands were put together for tours.

Couple of interesting things I've read so far:

Bill Evans (sax) and Barry Finnerty (guitar) aren't getting together for lunch anytime soon.

Miles pouring a beer on Barry Finnertys head (and 59' Les Paul) at a rehearsal.

The great Tom Barneys very brief stint with Miles didn't go very well.

It's a fun read, especially if your into Miles.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I will look for this tomorrow...thanks for the head's up.

Have you checked out Miles Beyond by Paul Tingen? It deals with the "electric explorations" of Miles, '67-'91'.

3. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Haven't checked out the Tingen book, but it is referenced by the author, George Cole, in The Last Miles.

Of course reading the book makes you go back and listen to the stuff. I love Decoy. Darryl Jones is great on it. But I really, really dig the 3 with Marcus on them (The Man With The Horn, We Want Miles, and Star People). They are basically just jams, but its some of my favorite Marcus playing. And he was only 21 or 22 at the time. Killer.

4. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Has anyone read his autobiography? I read it when I was a teenager and it changed my whole perspective on music and musicians. Definately check it out.

Here's a cover shot:
    [​IMG]

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Anyone else have a chance to check this title, 'The Last Miles' out yet?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i still have my copy of Miles' autobiography....what a great read!!!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought it...so far, I prefer Tingen's book.