Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool new trussrod approach

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I'm considering becoming a distributor for Gotoh parts and just recieved their catalog today. Some extremely cool stuff in there but one thing particularly caught my eye. It's a new trussrod system for bolt-on guitars and basses that has a SIDEWAYS adjustment screw instead of the traditional "in-line" versions. Where does this screw stick out at? At the treble side of the heel where the neck thickens but just in front of the body. All that shows is a nice black (or chrome) hex head bolt that is flush with the surface of the wood. On the end of this screw is a worm gear that drives the trussrod. Just how neat is that?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Sounds cool. What do you do?

3. sounds very neat in terms of looks- ie. no scoop necessary in the body or headstock for access to the adjuster,
    but I'm wondering, would this design add extra torsional stress to the neck?- maybe in time twist the neck?

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    some links:
    http://www.hosco.co.jp/intl/pages/gg2.html
    http://www.hosco.co.jp/intl/pages/gg_sat.html

I'm not sure if this side adjuster is really of interest.
    IMO there's no benefits of having a hole in the side of the neck hell rather than a recess on the body or the headstock of the instrument (well, in fact I don't like headstock recesses because in some cases they can weaken the headstock).

Actually, I think the stewmac spoke nut truss rod (à la Music Man stingray) are really offering a cool and practical way of adjusting without specific tools and with cutting a very small recess on the instrument.

Just my two cents.

Peace, JP

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just gotta toss in my cents with JP.
    Can't find any real plus with an extra hole in the neck heel. But it shows some thinking, and that is good.

Consider having the gear in the other direction. Then there would be an Allen nut flush with the top, facing forward. Instead of routing a grove for access to the nut, you drill a vertikal hole for the axle, and the rest is inside the neck.
    Could be rather cool, and very easy to make pretty.

But in the mean time, the spoke-wheel is rather clever. Or a "F....-style" flat driver cross, with a small access grove, to the center of the nut. Then you can turn the nut with a narrow driver. I did that to a Squier P, and it worked sweetly, without being visible.

6. Precisely the reason offered by Gotoh to use the side adjustment - you won't weaken the headstock with a slotted hole. On the other end, you won't have to remove the neck for adjustments like you do with old Fenders and contemporary Warmoth's. Sure, there are some necks with a butt end adjustment that don't have to be removed but it can vary greatly with neck pocket depth, neck thickness and whether or not a pickguard is used. Aesthetically this looks great.

MTR - there isn't any torsional stress put on the neck because of the geometry of the worm/spur combination. It's fairly easy to turn a worm gear from the worm side but nearly impossible to turn it from the spur side. Once tightened to the right place, the adjustment stays because it can't back out the worm.

7. maybe this method might mean it's more difficult to tell when the adjuster nut has reached the end of its travel= easier to strip the threads due to the added gearing?

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    now that right there is the doo doo...build me a bass with one, hammy? ;)