Cool outlook on bass philosophy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Apr 28, 2004.

1. I've just finished reading an excellent book called Foucalt's Pendulum. It's a long detailed story about history, the occult, various secret societies, and plots of world domination. In other words, typical bass player topics. ;)

Anyway, at one point a character was reminiscing about playing in a local brass band as a youth. Although he dreamed of glory and playing the trumpet, he was "stuck" playing something called the bombazon, which from its description sounded like a brass instrument akin to the tuba, and which seemed to function very much as the bass guitar does in modern music.

During this flashback, the character moped about not being out in front with the trumpet, although he was fully capable to do so, instead being burdened in the background with the bombazon. His teacher then instructed him on the importance of his assigned instrument by saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, partially from memory and partially to apply this quote to the bass guitar:

"The (bass) is the backbone of the orchestra, its conscience, its soul. An orchestra is like a flock: the instruments are the sheep, the conductor is the shepherd. But the (bass) is the snarling watchdog who guards the flock from straying. Wherever the shepherd wants the flock to go, he always looks first to his faithful watchdog, and the flock will instinctively follow his lead."

Just thought some fellow bassists might enjoy another viewpoint on the importance of our instrument and the function it performs.
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Oh, that doesn't happen in my band :crying:
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're obviously not loud enough.
  4. A nice sentiment. I like that!. very true.
  5. Umberto Eco is one hell of a writer. If you haven't, check out "Island of the Day Before" and "The Name of the Rose". And his latest, "Baudolino" - though I haven't read that yet.

He has a wonderful ability to weave understanding and insight into everything he says. Highly recommended.
  6. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I'll try not to hurt myself by thinking about that too much. ;)

7. I thought I'd resurrect this ancient post. Why? Because I need to consider this philosophy every so often, therefore I assume maybe some of my low-end brethren may benefit from it as well.
  8. basste

Oct 8, 2003
    very good resurection :cool:
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Foucault's Pendulum is an amazing book. Back when that Dan Brown Davinci's Code $#!+ was popular I was telling everyone I could get to listen to put it down and go read Eco. I'd forgotten about the Bombazon! Cool quote.