Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool P bass I played today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 19, 2004.

1. I went to the local music store today to find a 76 P-bass, and what a bass it was. Ash body in natural with aftermarket tortoise pickguard, but the big thing was the pickups had been swapped for Di Marzios (the ones with the white pickup covers). Also, another Di Marzio P was added to the bridge position. Ugly as heck with the double P and the white covers, but the tone was awesome! Volume and tone knobs, 3 way pickup switch, and another 2-way switch that we can't figure out. It's almost some kind of boost, all I know is one way give a clear, defined and tight sound a la J bass, while the other way sounds middier and powerful. Come to think of it it might have been a parallel/series switch. Anyways, this bass was alive! Powerful passive tone with help from the ash body, no doubt. Front pickup only = pure P-bass, while back pickup is a nasal version of the P tone (although sounds good, think of a soloed J bridge pickup, but P form). However both pickups on gives a very strong sound similar to 2 humbuckers (such as a G&L or Bongo or something). Very cool, tight P bass sound, great feel. Only problem, 1000$ CDN. I don't have that kind of money (I'm saving it for a fretless). But wow!

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds very cool... I recently picked up a '75 P-bass, I'm thinking of doing something similar to. It's got a refin alder body + a cream DiMarzio P-pup + BadAss, I'll probably add a DiMarzio Model J and some electronics tweaks (4-way pup selector rotary knob, all-pots bypass)... it sounds great now and I'm looking forward to adding to its tonal palette.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    My Hondo Longhorn (see my avatar) has original DiMarzio cream pickups and the two way switch you've described. I'm not sure what it does, but I like being able to have a more bassy sound or a more tic-tac sound. Maybe it switches in a capacitor? That's a guess though. It really is a great sounding bass...I've owned three basses with P pickups, and this one is my favorite sounding.

Actually, I'll go take of the rear cover and see what the switch does. Back in a minute.

Marshall

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I think it is series/parallel but can't see super well. I included a pic...the switch is towards the bottom.

My experience with this pickup is way different from SMASH's, so maybe it's a different model? This one is far from nasal; and I can't imagine someone thinking it's too middy. The up position is pretty dub in fact. The Hondo is solid maple, so that probably affects things too.

Marshall

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, gotcha. I strung mine with flats for sort of that reason.

Marshall