Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool phone call

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by john turner, Dec 18, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, if anyone has been following the slow and agonizing drama that is my band's excursion into the realm of self-released recordings, you may remember that we secured the services of neil kernon to mix our first cd. for those of you playing along at home, you'll find neil kernon under the "producers" heading for bands as diverse as queensryche (he mixed and produced rage for order), hall and oates (all their big, famous albums of the early 80's) and even one of cannibal corpse's more recent outings, among many others - RAM can chime in here any time, he got a chance to meet the man and hang briefly with us when we came up to chicago in july.

well, things went pretty well, but not perfectly, mainly due to time constraints (we tried to do 2 weeks worth of work in 5 days), so it was an intense and draining experience that left me really shaken for a while (the mix didn't turn out the way i had forseen it should, and for a while i was pretty disappointed).

anyway, the point of all this was that neil called me on monday and just shot the breeze for about twenty minutes. that was totally cool - just get a private call from someone with the kind of credentials and experience like neil's and just shoot the breeze for a while on his nickel. :D

he's paid us some pretty high compliments in the past too - he's said to us that, while he mixes anybody who can afford him, he only is willing to produce about 5% of the acts that approach him for production. he told us that he liked us enough that he would produce us if we ever asked him to. that's pretty cool, imo.

in fact, one of the purposes of his call was to fill us in on how his schedule was looking into the new year, since he knows we have another cd to mix, and he's expressed interest in doing it.

all in all, he's a great guy who's taught me more just by watching him in 5 intense days about mixing than i learned the previous 8 years that i was trying to do it on my own.

just thought i'd share that with you guys. :) btw, his website is www.auslander.net. check it out, he's a very cool guy.

EDIT(JT): btw, he's mixed and produced some recordings done by our very own michael manring that were very cool.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Whoa, that's really cool, John.

It's nice to rub shoulders with people who make things happen.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, maybe some of it will rub off. at least, that's what we're hoping. :D

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i feel priveledged....:)

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't be, we had to buy his friendship. :D :rolleyes:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's very cool! How long before those CD's are available?

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know we said we would try to get them out by christmas, but for once our deadlines have to be pushed back and it's not because we're slack :D :rolleyes:. the mastering engineer is still not finished with the mastering, so we don't have the master yet. i've heard the date "this friday" bandied about so we may have the master then.

all the cd replication places are closed from around now until the first week or so of january, so that's going to be the earliest we can get this ball bouncing. the only other potential hold up is going to find someone who can put together our cd liner notes. we have 2 people experienced in quark who have expressed interest in helping us out, we just have to schedule things.

once the cd gets to the replication house, it will be 3 weeks or so until the shrinkwrapped cds are sitting in my living room. w00t. :D

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool beans, man. :)

It's important to develop relationships with our counterparts in the music industry. The fella recording my band has a pretty good list too, including our own Mike Watt. So, I know that I should trust him. But sometimes it's hard to contain myself when I can't see where he's coming from and I can't see where our recordings are going. But you just have to have faith and trust the engineers to do their job... and that can be tough.

I bet draining was an understatement! ;)

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    JOhn, what style of music does your band do ?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it was, along the lines of "the pacific ocean sure is wet". :)

i spent the better part of 5 years being the only tracking and mixing engineer for those songs - i knew/know each instrument's track intimately. to just sorta hand it over to a stranger was pretty hard. very hard.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sorta prog-rock in the vein of the 70's and early 80's rush and yes, with a bit of heavier metal influence tossed in in spots.

here's a link to one of our songs that i mixed (the mixes aren't perfect)...

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/Fear-LordOnly.mp3

the link in my sig is to a 12 minute instrumental that is also a pretty good benchmark of our music.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He made you rub his shoulders?

I don't know about this. Remember...no one is allowed to touch you in your bathing suit area.

brad cook

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well...

Never mind.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no shoulder rubbing was needed.

my knees still hurt, though. :eek: j/k.

16. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Congrads JT...I am happy for you

17. Congrats JT, I'm glad things are going well for you and your band.

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    JT...how do you feel about the mix now? Can you elaborate a bit?

My experience working with an engineer with a national rep didn't turn out very well, for which I blame myself. We had the opportunity to have John Cuniberti at The Plant (formerly The Record Plant) in Sausalito, CA master our CD. John's got a great reputation as an engineer and producer, most notably with Joe Satriani. We got a "deal" on the price because our studio sent them three projects for mastering at the same time. I didn't go out for the mastering session (a mistake I will never make again), as it wasn't financially feasible to fly out to the left coast and I had faith in the facility and in John's reputation.

To make a long story short, I was not happy with the job...believe it or not, too bass-y:eek: . But because I was in a rush to get the CD out, and was frankly a bit intimidated by Cuniberti's rep, and felt I couldn't fault him because I wasn't there for the session, I settled. In fact, I didn't even complain, so to be fair to Cuniberti and The Plant, I don't even know what their reaction and remedy would have been. Pretty dumb on my part :oops: .

Anyway, didn't mean to take over your thread here, JT. The moral of my story is...regardless of reputation and past performance of heavies you may get a chance to work with, trust your own ears and remember you're the one who's signing the checks.

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i feel a bit less ... disappointed, but still not terribly happy.

to elaborate, the drums sound great, the bass, most specifically the fretless that i play on half the songs, sounds very "sanitized" - i had a lot of grind and aggression in the tone, and it sorta got eq'ed away, seemingly, and the most aggregious problem was that there were multiple tracks of guitars on every song with the intention that the double tracks would be panned out to make them sound huge, but since the mixing board that we mixed on (ssl 4000) didn't have automated panning, all the guitars got stacked in the middle. so there are sections in the mix where there are 6 or 7 centered guitars fighting with the bass. considering i wrote much of the music on this cd with the bass in mind, it's sort of bass ackwards, if you catch my drift. still, though, the song mixes sound pretty good on their own merits, i can live and even listen to it now, and we have all discussed the possiblities of getting it remixed in the future when the finances are right - there are also some errors in the mix, where tracks were backing tracks were faded out too soon, especially in the instrumental, some of the stuff is painfully obvious there.

yeah, no doubt. we all learned this lesson. next time we'll make sure that the time is there to do the job right. good luck with your recording. :)

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

knee pads, man! knee pads! being an old skater punk in the past, i take the rectors with me everywhere i go. great for the submarine :D my band is looking at doing a cd, being followed (hopefully) by another...we have about 35 original tunes, so hopefully there won't be too many clams on there. shopping around for the right guy to dissect your s&!t and put it out there for all to see is pretty arduous. i feel your pain, man...but i still don't have a lord only cd in my collection... hee hee