Cool Pino Interview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I did not connect with Black Messiah. I will listen again.

2. jbl71004

jbl71004 Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Charleston, WV
    There are some YouTube videos from the North Sea Jazz Festival that brought some of these songs to life for me. I love the record, but the performances are way beyond.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I prefer D’Angelo live. The way he treats his vocals on Voodoo kind of ruins things for me.

jbl71004 and jerry like this.
  4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There is a double live album from early in D'Angelo's career with Jerry Brooks on bass that is excellent.

bass12 likes this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the tip - I’ll check that out. :)

Is the album Live at the Jazz Cafe?

6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah, its recorded in '95 but released later, he was pretty young.

bass12 likes this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The album is as much a surprise to me as was tony levin's World diary. Nice to hear something slightly 'different'.

One thing I like about this and the Levin album...neither is a 'bass album' .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    jerry likes this.
  8. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Yup. My favorite thing about them is that neither are flashy players. They're musical players and they simply play the right the right thing. Not the flashy fast or most impressive thing. But the right thing.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    This was my introduction to Pino. Sumpin' else!

noahw1 likes this.
  10. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    For starters, welcome back TB!
    Great interview. And yes the Guy Pratt comment was hilarious!
    The new disc is beautiful and does not meet expectations, in a good way. There really is no one lead voice on it. It’s completely an ensemble approach throughout. Hits me like something Nelson Riddle or Clare Fischer might conceive. Beautiful production with all kinds of juicy distortion sprinkled throughout.
    One of the things that stands out to me is how deep Pino’s harmonic concept is. Obviously his pop stuff is top shelf in that department but this expands beyond pop harmony and gives welcome insight to what he hears beyond that.
    Doc, I totally understand not connecting with Black Messiah at first (several glances). I force fed myself because of my reverence for all the players and D. I almost recommend start at Sugah daddy and go from there. The Brent Fischer intro to Really love is amazing as is the song. I found a bunch of it started to resonate after many listens. I still don’t get the first few songs but they are strangely funky.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    turcmic and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Love Pino, but I could not get into the D'Angelo albums. After a few listens, my first thought was "where's the bass?" It sounded like more of a hum/rumble than a tone with discernable notes. Maybe I need to watch the live clips.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Voodoo is magic to me because of the subtle behind the beat feel. The playing is simple, proper note placement takes real skill.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    vilshofen and jerry like this.
  14. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    My issue was that I couldn't hear a distinguishable bass guitar at all. And I was listening on a good stereo. Maybe I need to go back and give it another listen.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The bass was not high in the mix, but I could hear it on every device I ever used.

16. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks for sharing! The album with Bahamas stated in the article has Pino’s magic all over the place

Low8 likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021