1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cool powerstrip for a pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, May 12, 2010.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know there's a lot of options for powering pedals on a board - i even have one, a 1 spot taking the place of 4 warts.

still, some of my pedals really need their warts- eventides in particular have pretty high current requirements - and others have unconventional voltages like moog pedals or the blowtorch, or require ac like my digitech bass whammy. i don't know if there's any single solution out there for powering all these guys with a single brick, but if there is, i bet good money it's pretty pricey, and frankly i'd rather spend that dough on another fuzz/distortion pedal :D.

i found a great strip to use that not only can hold a boatload of warts (6 to be exact) but it also organizes the power chords, cost only 40 bucks, and best of all, covers up :).

check it out :

http://www.belkin.com/surgeprotection/concealed/

i can fit 6 warts inside it (4 big ones in the wart sockets and the two small moog ones in two of the regular outlets) and have 2 outlets inside and one outside remaining. it's a great strip and was super cheap.

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It would work, but that thing is huge.

3. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    overkill for my pedals but nice for my house... thanks

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Check out the GigRig Power Supply and the isolation adpaters for the Eventides. You may find you can power everything off the one supply. I Daisy chained my Bass MURF using a reverse polarity adapter.

5. Heh, same company as my Wireless Internet Adapter.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Linky?

And good post Jon- I'm looking at something like a power strip as I need at this point, at LEAST 2 wall warts (Eventide being one) and may end up with another.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -shrug- about 2x the size of a regular powerstrip, and my board is pretty big :). i'll take a pic of the new layout when i get home today. it looks big because it covers the warts - it's not really -that- much bigger than a regular strip.

that seems like it would be an expensive solution. i'll check it out though.

edit : the digitech bass whammy requires an ac 9 volt adapter, and i'm not seeing one of those on that page. still, though, looks like a nice space-saving system, but to get what i would need i would have to spend over $300, and that still wouldn't get the whammy pedal.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

www.thegigrig.com - they have options for eventides, look at the evenflow module.

9. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
  10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah that looks like more than a $50 investment! :D

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

i know. besides, i can decorate the powerstrip now :D. bet not a lot of folks have said -that- before. lol.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    What size board to you have? I'm about to have a PT2 come in.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For users of multiple wall warts, willing to "go bulky", I recommend the Furman Pluglock:

[​IMG]

It's rugged, it holds the warts very securely, and has "ears" for bolting it down to your rack or board.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Also nice. Wonder how high up that ends up being off the board though.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Pretty dang high. I don't recommend it for sloped single-plane pedalboards, because on those it's like a skyscraper. I use mine inside a rack case, but if I was using it on a pedalboard I would attach it behind the board, like:

[​IMG]

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hm. I wonder if I could mount it to the front of the board somehow then.

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    That's what I was thinking when I look at the Belkin JT linked. As it stands,...I have two warts on my board and I use one of those brown indoor use only extension cords a la.....

DSCN5667.

One wart is for a Source Audio pedal and the bigger wart is for the G-Bus-8. Eventually I will upgrade to a PPII+ but right now I'm going to research the Versa that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    So you just run two outlets, eh? I was hoping to be able to avoid that though... I have a wart for my Eventide and the XDS-Plus, but maybe the OneSpot has enough juice to power all my pedals plus the XDS-Plus. I think it draws 300mA.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut