Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool RackBag Alert!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 22, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i know lots of us are always looking for that cool rack bag, and just wanted to pass on something cool.

its the Odyssey Rack Bag.

[​IMG]

doesnt look like much, but compared to the Warwick and Protec, its one of the more lighter bags i've tried. and, cool thing is, the inner rack slips out of the soft cover, revealing a cool black carpetted box that's slim, yet strong.

comes in 8, 12, 16 in. depths, and comes in 3, 4, and 5 space bags. unforunately, no 2 spacers, but hopefully if they catch on, there're be an outcry for one.

i've been using the 3 space rack bag with my Aguilar DB680 / Stew 1.2 and it fits perfectly. there's slight overhang from the banana clips, so be careful, but other than that, i couldnt be happier.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Nice... as usual, you are state-of -the art!
    Good to know, because my current GAS consists of this.... and it's gonna go in a rack bag-
    NOW- Please tell me about your Peavey DPC,
    because I'm pretty sure its going to be used with either that or the Stewart-I'm into getting a 2-space ultimate rig, then I'm DONE (yeh, right!)

Thanx, bro......

3. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Joker,

These do look cool. Where did you buy yours, and do you know the URL for Odyssey? I haven't been able to dig one up thru Google.

Low Note

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    got mine from Musicians Enemy... err.. Friend!

ok price, but cant tell cause they were the only dealer i found for them. a friend of mine gave me the heads up, and he got his from MF, too.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wassup larry,

np, man. that's what i'm here for. ;)

well, as for the DPC, what's there not to love? great power and nice variable fan to keep things kosher and cool. i've lent it to friend of mine, and at his gigs, he's blastin' pretty much 1000 watts worth of bridged DPC juice. his dial at 3:00 is a guestimation. IMHO, not since they're untimely discontinued Valverb :(, PV's got a real winner.

but at low volumes for the coffee shops and cafe's i was doing with it a little while back, that variable fan is annoying. changes with your note attack. got my Stewart to remedy that. not really pushing it at all for those gigs, but its as quiet as a mouse's uncle.

btw, what's this London Power thing?

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Joker! Hey, mon-
    I have the "gas" attack for a two-space soft-rack unit, in conjunction with a Bergantino 2-x-something.
    Why? Because it's THERE!
    Long, from LABX once told me that he didn't believe you could get adequate headroom from a 1-space power-amp. (He's a little guy, & said "It would be like me fighting Mike Tyson! To which I replied, "Think martial-arts, Long!"
    But I digress, anyway, he's now "Long Gone":(

The specs on the PV DPC looked VERY imoressive, and my research on it substantiated that. I can't find one in stock out here in LA, just those pesky Demeter tube amps, etc.! (BTW, I did a recording session at Demeter- He has a digital studio adjacent-but that's another story!)
    When I heard you had the DPC, I wanted to hear what you thought....BTW-about time!
    As far as London Power- I heard some buzz about them, & checked it out. That preamp looks very tight & sweet.Look at their web-site.
    Picture that in a soft-rack w/ the DPC, a Bergie,
    and most of all, me with my bad-ass thumb as
    "Nancy & The NightCrawlers" play R&B /Blues at
    Whispers in LA on Oct. 18, & Brennan's Pub in
    Marina Del Rey Nov. 2, and the Tryst in Chatsworth.... (Blatant plugs):cool:

Later bra'.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    jokerjkny,

Thanks for sharing the info on this one. I got my Odyssey Rack Bag in this week and just used it tonight. Great bag! It has greatly simplified load in/out. I would have never known or thought about it if it wasn't for your post. Thanks!

brad cook

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, cool!

always a pleasure to help out a fellow TB'er!

btw, which one did you get? and what's loaded in it?

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks JK!

Looks like a cool bag, and I need one, so I went on MF to look for one. The thing I am not sure about is my Hartke 5000 is 13" deep, and the rack comes in 12 and 16. Would the 12 be to short, and would the 16 be too deep and obscure the back of the amp? :confused:

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    OOoo,

that's a toughie. the case itself is soft, so it does offer some leeway with slightly larger boxes. e.g. my stewart's banana clips jut out a wee bit, but its ok. if there's nothing, sticking out from the Hartke, and its just one solid piece of the amp that's an inch longer, then you might actually be able to get away with it.

if you dont mind losing a little in shipping, you could always order both, and send back the one you dont like in 45 days. that's what i did.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I got the 16" 3 space bag. All I've got loaded into is an SWR SM-500. That's not much but it is still a lot easier to carry in and out as the SM-500 is awkward to carry in one hand.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You'll be cool with the 16. My SM-500 is between 13 and 14 inches and I like having a little extra space back there to put the cord in etc... It's still easily accessible too IMO.

brad cook

EDIT: Also if you get the 12 then I feel there's a good chance that the zipper on the back won't close with that extra inch sticking out. I just wouldn't want to do it for protection reasons.

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just got the 3 space 16" bag in today! It fits my Hartke perfectly! Will most pics soon:D

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool man!

brad cook

15. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I got a question about these bags: Is there adequate air flow for the amp? I have an Ampeg SVT-4Pro and I was thinking of getting the 16" - 3 space bag. The SVT is a 3 rack amp but it's 15.5" deep.
    It seems like in a bag like the vents would be covered up and the amp would not get get enough air flow. I've never owned a rack so I don't know much about them but I want something and these bags look great. A metal rack will add another 10+ lbs to my amp.

16. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It helps to open the bag first before powering on the equipment ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I just set mine up yesterday. The unit is a carpeted rack which fits inside the nylon bag. The bag has zippered flaps on each end, so you have the option of keeping it inside the bag with the flaps open, or removing the rack completely.
    I probably will keep mine inside the bag since it is easier to set up and tear down that way. :cool:

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    there's no less airflow than a normal rack.

If my rig is visible I take the rack outta the bag. If it's not very visible I'll leave it in the bag...or if I know I'm gonna need to leave quickly after the show I'll leave it in.

brad cook