Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool Roger Waters article in Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Go check it out. He's done with that opera he started in like '89.
    He talks about feeling warm and cuddly during the Live 8 thing. But when asked about them doing a whole tour..."I don't really need it...it would be a very hot ticket. That said, I didn't mind rolling over for one day, but I couldn't roll over for a whole ****ing tour."
    I love it. He also talks about Gilmour's jealousy - surprise surprise.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ever hear about the "Floating Finger" birthday present that Gilmour gave Waters? :D

I can see the reason for the tension.

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Roger had to corral him on that Live 8 stage just for a hug at the end. I can't stand Gilmour :spit:
    What has he done post Waters? Not much.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The two post-Waters Pink Floyd records did fairly well commercially. The tours were massively huge commercial successes. Gilmour has also released a couple solo albums, I don't know if they're good or bad or what, but he did them. He also has played guitar as a sideman with Paul McCartney and Pete Townshend to name just a couple. I can only guess that your definition of "not much" doesn't have much connection to reality.
    nope, and the terms are too generic for google to give me any hints. Link?

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    He's one of the greatest guitarists ever I just don't like his attitude - since about...1981. The 2 post Waters records (which shouldn't even say Floyd on the label, let's not get started) were not up to par IMO. His solo albums...sleepy. I've always sided with Roger.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    For a birthday present, Gilmour floated a giant balloon in the shape of a middle finger over Waters' house.

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ha - what an ass!
    That band was only big enough for 2 geniuses
    Syd & Roger :ninja:

8. neverdidlikeit

neverdidlikeit

Aug 5, 2005
    WI
    rumor has it that gilmore was responsable for a lot of the whacked out production on the wall. i mean thats one of my all time favorite albums, but i wonder how it would've sounded if it were roger's (the songwriter for the most part) baby. the world will never know.

9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    The wall WAS Roger's project. That's why he won the rights to it in a long court battle with Gilmour.

10. sonic_raver

sonic_raver

Aug 6, 2005
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a really good album, love Learning to Fly and on the Turning Away

11. they're both wicked talented and sounds like they're both a couple of jack-offs.
    -eric

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A perfect example of "the sum of two halves is greater than the whole" if there were ever one. Both post-breakup PF and RW solo albums have been in need of the other's skill. "The Wall" is absolute genius, but can you imagine it without "Young Lust", "Comfortably Numb" and "Run Like Hell"? - all written by Gilmour.

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um.. That's Co written by Gilmour. And "The Wall" IMO doesn't stand up to the quality of the three albums that preceeded it or the one that followed it. Maybe I've just heard it too many times, but it seems too self-absorbed and melodically chaotic. "Final Cut" (My personal favorite PF record behind Animals) may be melodically chaotic (Like all Waters IMO), but at at least it has something cohesive to say other than "pity poor me I'm such a miserable rock star!".
    I agree with your assessment otherwise.

Both "Pink Floyd" and Roger Waters do extremely good cover versions of old Pink Floyd songs in concert.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I serously doubt that story.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Honestly I always thought that Gilmour buried Waters when musicianship or singing was taken into account. Gilmour even played most of my favorite PF bass parts.

Conversely, Waters wrote the better lyrics.

16. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    That is nonsense. Syd leaving was the best thing that happened to Pink Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is complete schlock. Floyd didn't sound like Floyd until Gilmour showed up and we all know that. Without Gilmour, there is no Pink Floyd. He IS the sound of Pink Floyd. Division Bell and Momentary Lapse are two of the better PF albums, even without Roger Waters. The Wall is terrible except for the songs Gilmour wrote: Young Lust, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell. The rest of that album is gimmicks and Waters whining about his dead father. Granted we are all bassists here and I'd like to side with Roger, but I just can't do it. Plus he's a terrible singer.

Sorry about the venting, just not a huge fan of Roger Waters.

"Bury me with all my stuff... beacause you know that it is mine..."
    -Master Shake

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I do throw out some weird comments from time to time but I'll have to disagree here and say that you're off your rocker on this one "Division Bell and Momentary Lapse are two of the better PF albums" and this one "Floyd didn't sound like Floyd until Gilmour showed up".

18. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    QUOTE=Muzique Fann]I do throw out some weird comments from time to time but I'll have to disagree here and say that you're off your rocker on this one "Division Bell and Momentary Lapse are two of the better PF albums" and this one "Floyd didn't sound like Floyd until Gilmour showed up".[/QUOTE]

Any particular reasonyou would have to disagree? In my opinion Pink Floyd sounded just like every other 60's psychedelic band until Gilmour showed up. They concentrated on the basic rock/R+B formula that all the other bands of that era that came out of England, they just added some freaky psychedelia to it. They weren't anything special until Syd left to go insane and Gilmour took over the lead guitar spot. Like I said: Gilmour IS the sound of Pink Floyd. Think about Another Brick in The Wall. What would that song be without Gilmour's guitar solo in the middle? In my mind, not much of anything. You can tell Gilmour is the more talented of the two (he and Waters) because Waters never took it uopn himself to write anything when Barrett was still in the band. I realize that Waters was the primary composer, but who's to say Gilmour did not write most of the songs everyone hums in their head? Maybe I'm just biased because I can't stand The Wall. Roger does nothing but whine on that album and it drives me crazy.
    As far as the split goes. We all know that Roger sued the other guys, not vice-versa, and that Roger is the one who stays away.

As for Division Bell, which songs on that album are not any good? Same with Momentary Lapse. Both albums topped the charts in England and in America, so they had to be decent enough.

Anyway... I should write a dissertation or something. HA

"Bury me with all my stuff... because you know that it is mine..."
    -Master Shake

19. w/ that I agree, but I like roger waters.

Gilmore was responsible for the best early Floyd stuff, imo (the narrow way and childhoods end for example), but I don't feel like listening to a bunch of crap his wife wrote

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've seen Floyd in concert three times (once with Roger and twice after he left). I've seen Gilmour in concert with his band once or twice. I've seen Waters in concert with his band twice.

All of the shows were excellent.

I'll go and see any of those guys next time they come to town, though I would especially love to see Pink Floyd again with Roger Waters.

Life's too short and precious for arguing and bashing.
    Enjoy the music.
    Peace.