Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool sidewalk drawings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

f

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

f

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That is amazing!! Where are those from?

brad cook

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, where are those from?

5. They're all good, but the one of the seal is dope! ;)

Mike

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Those last two that Fhodshon posted... are those 2-D?

:eek:

7. Damn thats cool!

8. Same artist better pictures, if you look closer the people aren't even standing on the bricks, it's the painting.

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    That is insane

10. whoa..........

dude.................

i never knew that those things ever existed... the fly and the seal is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What's his name?

12. Thats so awsome.thanks for sharing

13. I'm an art director and chief designer here in Atlanta and my department of 3 talented illustrators and designers looked these pics over with a fine tooth comb...

...our opinion is that it is even MORE amazing than the photos reveal. Here's why:

These designs only look like they do because of where the camera is placed. They were drawn to exactly coordinate with the camera position to create the stunning depth you see. Perspective is a neat thing - it can be played with and tricked to do all sorts of stuff for the eyes.

In this case, the illustrations are 20' - 30' in length (by our estimation) but the width of the piece is a natural dimension. When viewed from the camera point, foreshortening brings the height of the art into apparent conformity with the width and makes the pic appear distortionless. If you were to take a pic from ABOVE the sidewalk, you would see that they are very distorted in their shape. We see this same thing every day on the roads here in the US. "CROSSWALK" and "STOP" warnings are painted on the roads for viewing by motorists. The words look correct and readable from the drivers perspective but the actual letters are about 4 times taller than they would be otherwise. Foreshortening does the rest.

Another trick that the artist has used is illustrating textures and assigning relative colors that push the depth illusion further into our brains. Objects that are further away tend to lose detail in their surfaces and these distant objects tend to be darker than foreground objects. The Marilyn Monroe piece is a good example. The coping stones of the pool in the forground have more detail and are lighter than the ones in the background. Take a look that the stones on the sides and they get a little darker as they are further from the viewer. Very subtle but very important to the overall effect.

The final bit of interesting stuff is that because of the location and size of these pieces, the artist likely was never able to "step back" and look at the overall piece as he was drawing unless he viewed the piece from the camera point. Because of this and the general complexity of the task, we believe that these were pre-drawn in smaller scale, the design refined, and then scaled out on the sidewalk as we see here. Another way that this could have been done is to take an original, undistorted illustration, tilt it to appear foreshortened, and then take a pic on slide film. Then, in the early hours of the morning, project this slide onto the sidewalk at an extreme angle to re-distort the perspective back to normal and then trace the major components of the image. Color shading could be finished in time to avoid pedestrian traffic.

HOWEVER, knowing the technical points of this achievement in no way diminishes the amazing nature of the art. We were most impressed.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome.

Hambone, thanks for the technical detail.

15. I'm totally amazed! That is just incredible! Thanks Hambone for the description - this is one of the rare occasions that knowing how the trick is done doesn't lessen the experience. One of my nieces in the UK is studying graffiti as part of her art course and she'll get a kick out of these, although not graffiti in the strict sense of the word. The only thing I've seen which is comparable (although on a bigger scale) is an artist (on the west coast, I think) who paints murals on buildings, e.g. he would paint the side of a large building to look like an aquarium with whales swimming around - there was a programme about him a while ago on TV.

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil

PS: I was wrong - it's in Philadelphia (http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~davidtoc/murals/whales.html)
    PPS: Check out this site(http://www.kurtwenner.com/) - in the Q&A section, the artist explains his method