Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool slap songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Maarten, Apr 28, 2005.

1. What do you guys think that the three best songs for slapping and popping are?
    cheers!

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It depends on what kind of music you like. Growing up with 70s classic rock, I love "Slow Ride" by Foghat, this song got me staretd in slap/popping

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Tough one, but Imma have to go with:

Les Claypool - The Awakening
    Juan Nelson - Live Fight For Your Mind
    Marcus Miller - Tutu (allthough anything by him pretty much covers it hehe)

4. This is tough.

The live version of "Power" by Marcus Miller
    "Ten Mile Jog" by George Duke with Christian McBride on Bass
    then either "The Jam" by Graham Central Station, or "Sinister Minister" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

5. Oh, nice ones. This thread is going to get ugly.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yes yes it is, I wonder how many people will listen to these tunes and either say "I give up!" or "hot damn I am gonna practice everyday of my life for hours to be able to do that!!" hehe

7. Oh forgot to post mine:p
    - infectious grooves - the immigrant song (easy but i think they covered it very good)
    - primus - tommy the cat
    - newtake 19 i dont really know what the song is called, i dont even know if the band is called like this but download it here: http://www.soesa.nl/NewTake19.mp3

8. When I saw your first couple, I questioned the last song, not knowing what it was. I must say that is pretty slammin'. I would be surprised if that WASN'T a Status bass though. I have no idea who the player is.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 that song was jammin!

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Who told you slap was cool? :eyebrow:

:D

My favorite slap song is Power by Marcus Miller. Fun tune to play and a good warmup to get your hand moving.

Some others:

Del Davis Tree Farm - Primus
    Thank You - Sly and The Family Stone
    Take the Power Back - RATM
    Woodpecker from Mars -Faith No More

All are pretty simple and easy to learn by ear.

11. So does anybody know who this song is? I would love to know!

12. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    das mark king... and his band level 42, the song is called mr pink.

and yea.. he is playing his status signature model there.

13. I thought as much, but I'm not familiar enough with their material to know the songs.

14. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    learning slap type songs is fun if you have the time, but trying to recreate what someone else has done is kind of a waste unless you really want to play a certain song to say- "hey look what i can play", or like most people hear -play it in a cover band. but most of these songs excluding Foghat, are not played by cover bands.
    get some basics down on slapping/popping then create you own simple rythym(that you like), and keep practicing it. the next time you play it add a little bit more, and more each time and you practive it.
    in time you will have yourself something comparable to all songs listed hear.
    then the fun part - bring it to practice and playit for your drummer and see what kind of tastey beat he can put to it :D

my first slap song i learned was higher ground RHCP version, Man i want that 30 min of my life back. then again it tought me what not to do with the slap style.

all of the songs listed hear are awsome to listen to and get the basics to how to approach and build your own slap/pop lines :bassist: GET SOME!!!

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hmm I wouldnt have guessed that. I have a Level 42 CD or two and always sounded very 80's to me. Allthough insanely good basslines hehe. My bass teacher turned me on to them, maybe I should check out more of their stuff :)

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow! I almost dismissed the song as boring slap wankery with some cheap tricks to make it sound fast thrown in, but then the band kicked in and I was like "Whoa!" Awesome! I think I feel like learnig this song. :D

17. I dowloaded the version of level 42 and it didnt really sound like this one, guess it's a cover...

18. By the way, try to play the guitar riff thats played on switchblade 327 by the brian setzer orchestra it sounds reaally cool, especially to play with a cover band, you're gonna steal the show!

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Or how 'bout the original Awakening done by it's writer, Dexter Redding?!?!

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually, I've never heard it, I didnt realize it was a cover hehe. /shame on me...Ill try and dig up the original someplace, thanks :)