Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool songs with harmonics

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by wRaith, Feb 22, 2006.

1. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys, I'm looking for cool songs to play that use harmonics. Things like Disposition by Tool and Portrait of Tracy are awesome (still working on Partrait of Tracy though). I really like the way harmonics can sound, so does any one have any recommendations for me?

2. victor wooten has some cool songs with harmonics, two that i can think of off the top of my head are Amazing Grace and U can't hold no Groove

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Tool - Disposition
    Dream Theater - As I Am (the intro is all bass)
    Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

I can't really think of anymore right now, but hit me up on AIM and i'll send you those songs if you want me to.

4. +1 for Amazing Grace

5. John Entwistle - harmonic intro on The Who's version of 'Empty Glass', and the solo from 'Dancing Master'.

Geddy Lee's bassline on Rush's 'Different Strings' is one of the most effective uses of harmonics I know, Very simple but instantly memorable.

Yes' 'The Fish' is based around a cyclic harmonic riff.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Also check out "Norweigian Wood" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones/Victor Wooten.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like the harmonics in primus' 'eclectic electric'. Very simple, but they stand out and fit the song very well.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Good call! VERY great song.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Michael Manring-Unusual Weather

Check your record store bargain bins for a CD called UCross by Dean Peer. All tunes are harmonic oriented solos. His second CD Travelogue too, but with backing musicians.

10. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i think it's called "Sometime's I Laugh"

from Victor's 'What Did He Say?' album...
    great tune w/harmonics