Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool Sounds Found on Mo'Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skystriker, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Skystriker

Skystriker

Aug 2, 2000
    Hi,

I have the SWR Mo'Bass and was wondering if anyone on this board has found any really cool specific settings on the effects. I have come up with several which are really unique. If anyone has any they want to share , post them here or email them to me. I do know that not many people here seem to care for the Mo'Bass amp very much but I have been very pleased with mine so far. I have not started playing out yet but have worked it pretty hard in practices and its held up and worked great. Hopefully we will have some better posts than the 20 or so that usually just say the amp sux. But everyones entitled to their opinion.

And for the record I have been very pleased with the onboard effects which seemed to be one of the big hang-ups people have had with this amp, plus the flimsy knobs (which I do agree are rather flimsy).

David

2. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Hey !!! I have the Mo-bass.....and I don't think it sucks !!! lol.....

I really like the onboard effects.......and there are what seems like an infinite number of combinations !

I generally keep the Chorus engaged. I believe they have put together one of the 'lushest' chorus's I've ever heard. Settings for me are :
    Depth- 7.5
    Rate - 1.5

I occassionally use the Subwave......but as with most octave thingys for bass.....it has trouble tracking notes below a 'C' on the 'A' string. I use it to fatten up solos ....where I stay in the upper registers.... Coupled with the Goliath Sr. (6-10's).. you can REALLY move some air !! Settings for me are :
    Tone - 1.5
    Mix - 1.5 towards the 'bass'

I have played with the bass synth a bit.....havent found any application for use with my band as of yet......but still workin on it.

.......About the MO.....yea...Ive heard all the complaints......hard to see knobs....input jack cheasy....but I still feel the Mo is well worth the $$ and a very solid amp.

JMO- Peter

3. Hope nothing goes wrong with your amp.
    SWR customer service couldn't be worse.
    It's customer "disservice," and they excel at it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I didn't like the Mo' but hardly thought it sucked. More important than the knobs, I didn't like the fact that you have to manually dial in each effect as you go. That seems really cumbersome.

How fast can you switch between effects in a live situation?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As fast as coughing up another $280 + s&h for that pedal thingie made for the Mo' Bass will allow you, I guess.

6. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    I just bought a Mo bass head with the Mo'Controller for $1300 new. I love it. But yes there are mixed feelings. From the people I have talked to the majority (I'd say 80%) love the head. I'd also have to say the majority do not even own the head but have used it a few times at a store. But the people that actually own it praise the head (Like myself, granted I've only owned it for two days so far). SWR is really pushing this product for some reason and maybe its because of the negative publicity it might be getting. Who knows. Just get what's good for you and don't listen to rumor, you have to experience the thing yourself. That's what I did. It was the Bass 750 vs. Mo'Bass, and I went with the Mo. Yes it was a lot more but I'm very satisfied.

My main tone is a combo of a little overdrive and the Mo'eq, plus the pre-amp eq. I have effects set up and tweaked. There is no need to change the effect settings in a live situation. I have the bass synth set up to sound like a "Tom Saywer" deal. But I will not be using this sound for the session band I am playing in now. The chorus I have set up perfectly and quite frankly it sounds better than a boss bass chorus.

I don't know. I'm trying to figure out why bass players resent the Mo'Bass head. Is it the price (not a good value)???? Or do knobs mean - inconveince? I can't see anyone saying that the tone sucks. Just can't...

7. Ever wondered why most H-C reviews (including my own, I must confess) are positive? If you thought enough of the product to shell out for it, then you probably think it's pretty good. Likewise, it makes sense to me that people who don't like the amp don't even own it--why would they buy something that they don't like?

I'm neutral on the Mo'Bass. I haven't owned an SWR product for a long time (my first amp was a Redhead--a lucky guy am I), but back then, their customer service was excellent. I had some problem with my bridge rectifier and I took it down to their factory in Sylmar (this was when they were right next to Groove Tubes), and they fixed it in time for my gig the next day.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    When I was shopping for a new head/effects unit it came down to the Mo' Bass and the Bass POD. While I'll give it to you that the Mo'Bass sounds pretty good, I found getting 16 amps and 16 effects along with the floorboard for less then $600 alot more desirable then shelling out $1300 for a head and floorboard that gives you, basically, one "main" sound.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    To keep it fair, the Bass POD is just a preamp + FX, it'd be in the same price range or even higher with an integrated poweramp. And the POD isn't exactly state-of-the-art either...

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I didn't like the PODs either;)

Guess I'm the Grinch.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, your bass is partly green already, you're getting there. :D

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    All it needs is antlers

:D

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm glad that you Mo'Bass owners like your amp. I would certainly hate owning something that I couldn't stand, especially for $1300.

If I had $1300, and wanted an SWR head, I would get the SM900. It's a no-brainer IMHO.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. Or I'd look for a clean used Bass 750 in the $850-$900 range.

17. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    There was someone I met at a Gig that wants to "trade" and SM-900 for my Mo'bass. Who knows maybe I'll dig it more?