Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool St. Louis music stores or other stuff to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jun 24, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    My friends and I are going to be in St. Louis next tuesday night - thursday afternoon on our way to cornerstone festival and I was wondering if there were any cool music shops or any other cool places to check out while we are there.

-Jason

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

> MacMurray Music on St. Charles Rock Road has rooms where you can roar with some nice amps. I have rented SVT's from them for $50 when I've played St. Lou.

> Then there's the legendary Mel Bay Music in Kirkwood. While not a big "Guitar Center-type" store, Mel's shop was one of the pioneers in electric guitars/basses/amps and one of the kings of sheet publishing music. While not all that impressive, it's a shrine and was among the shops that sold Leo Fenders first electric basses.

> St. Charles, just outside of St. Louis has a guitar store that has a ton of gear. It will be in the yellow pages.

> If you can, get to the Pageant Theater if you like the bands playing there. They book upcoming national bands and it is a really cool place with a bar and a balcony (it's a renovated old movie theater)

> Blueberry Hill, just down the street, (Delmar), from The Pageant usually has Chuck Berry playing every week.

> To see the "monyed-coke sniffing" crowd, hit Euclid and McPherson in the Central West End, especially Balaban's (I used to work there). Get ready to check out the professional models who frequent the place.

> For superb Italian food that can compete with anyplace in the US, try "The Hill", (a.k.a. "Dago Hill"). Even the fire hydrants are painted the Italian national colors. Don't be surprised to see some mafioso sucking down some fettucine. Tony's, in downtown St. Lou is the best, but expect to drop at least $100 with wine.

> Laclede's Landing on the riverfront has a load of late night action. Mississippi Nights books good bands.

>Pop's is another place to hear first rate bands.

I could go on, but I don't want to overload you. Pick up one of the free entertainment papers that are all over town, like the "Riverfront Times" to check out the nightlife

3. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    there is a great record store on delmar in university city called vintage vinyl. lots of music to check out...my wife is from the area and every time we visit we go there and drop some cash. i ripped a suitcase trying to fit all the records i purchased into it. bluberry hill is right up the street and they have yummy burgers...

4. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    There is a place called Eddies guitars in maplewood on manchester rd. They have a whole basement full of used gear. I bought my eden 215 from them. Nice people. But the best part is the SVT AV right when you walk in the door. Or if your really looking for a good time, just head about 40 miles west on 44 and youll end up in Washington. We have a Wal Mart. ;)

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If the Cards are in town, you should try to check out a game at Busch before they tear down a perfectly good stadium after next season. The riverfront is nice, and you might find the riverboats and the museum under the Arch interesting...showing a history of the gateway to the west. The old courthouse where the Dred Scott decision was reached is now a Federal museum and can be toured during the day. It's right by the Arch. Of course, you can always take the ride to the top. If you're downtown, stop in at Charlie Gittos on 6th street, but otherwise, make a run to "the hill" for some great food. You might be interested in touring the Busch factory too.

As far as music stores are concerned, the best is probably a store in St. Charles (can't remember the name and am not entirely sure it stil exists). I'm not aware of any other music stores around the down-town area that would be worth checking out...unfortunately.

6. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I will definetly try to hit up some of those places on my trip. Thanks so much for all the info.

-Jason