1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool stores for bass gear in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Mar 23, 2013.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Visiting Las Vegas and driving to Los Angeles from there, any cool shops to check out for bass gear in Vegas or on the way to L.A. :hyper:

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Ed Roman Guitars

Cowtown Guitars

3. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Is Ed Roman's shop still open? My impression was that when he died in 2011, his shop closed shortly thereafter. His web site is still up, but I don't see any recent on-line activity about the place.

Cowtown is defintely worth a visit. Surprisingly, it's one of the better vintage guitar shops I've been to.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Cowtown +1

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Yup, Cowtown

just a few blocks north of the stratosphere tower

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Ed Roman is indeed gone, and so is his shop, unfortunately, as it was a real marvel -- truly department store-sized .

Cowtown in much smaller, boutique-sized, but there are usually a dozen or so interesting basses in stock at any given time. There is also a Sam Ash around the corner which is a good place to get some "face time" with newly released models.

The cat that runs Cowtown shows up every so often on Pawn Stars to help the boys appraise the odd vintage Gibson...

7. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Avoid the Guitar Center in Summerlin. The bass room is about the size of my kitchen.
    The GC south of the strip has a decent selection. Last time I went to Sam Ash about a month ago, it was about 80% Hartke.
    Can't speak for cowtown as I can't afford vintage. The only time I was there they had like two vintage pbasses and a lot of guitars

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I never cared for Ed Roman, for a number of reasons. But I agree that his shop was a marvel. It was a giant place with a huge inventory. It was the first place - maybe the only place, come to think of it - where he had maybe a dozen high end boutique basses hanging on the wall.

Cowtown appears to have moved. When I saw the post above saying it was north of the Stratosphere, I thought "No, it's in that little strip mall on Maryland, near Sam Ash". But not anymore. Perhaps their association with Pawn Stars has allowed them to move up in the world.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks much for the notification about Cowtown moving shop -- you just saved me a head-scratching, half-hour drive over to Maryland Parkway on my next visit to Sin City.

There used to be a Vintage Guitar shop on Main but I think that is long-gone.
    There used to be a small shop with used gear called Red Rock Guitars on Charleston near that mediocre Guitar Center in Summerlin, but I believe that place closed too.

The GC south of the Strip does indeed have a better selection than Guitar Center Summerlin, but still no great shakes and IMO not worth the trouble of negotiating that huge outdoor mall where it is located.

The original poster might want to save some of their "bass bankroll" for when they hit L.A., as there are some fantastic music stores out here. As for stores between the two cities, I don't think there is much, unless someone knows of a guitar shop in Barstow, or unless you want to take a fairly big detour out to Bakersfield.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yes, Cowtown moved almost a year ago; they're on Main St. about a block or so north of Charleston Blvd., toward Fremont St. Ed Roman closed his place several years before he died, and worked out of his house/on the Internet. Yeah, he was.. interesting..to deal with, but he had by far the best store for lefties here in Vegas. I miss him.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I remember visiting an ed roman music store when I was vacationing in las vegas. it's pretty cool that my brother and I were visiting a music store in vegas just like the many time we visited a guitar center and a sam ash back at home. anywho, I remember trying out one of those lightwave basses there and they sounded pretty cool. it's a shame to here about ed roman passing away and his store no longer exists. he had a pretty good music store. r.i.p ed roman.

12. Damn. I wonder what happened to Ed Roman's stock if they shut down?

13. How far is GC off the strip?
    Going in early April. GC's Vintage section of their website show a couple old P's I would not mind trying.

14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    There are 2 here in Vegas. One @ 8621 W. Charleston Blvd. is quite a ways from the Strip (corner of W. Charleston & Durango). The other is @ 6587 S. Las Vegas Blvd. (The Strip), in a toney shopping plaza just the other side of Sunset Blvd., which parallels the main runway @ Macarran Airport. Google Maps will give you good directions to either of them.

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey thanx for all the replys .. Looking forward to checking out these stores...

16. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    +1 on Cowtown (and not just because I'm from Columbus).

17. coda

coda

Sep 20, 2005
    Medford, Oregon
    Ed Roman guitar shop is alive and well.

I was just there (sep. 5, 2013) and having a custom Caesar bass built. The shop is by appointment only, but it is stock to the gills! They gave me a tour and if you have never seen some real customs gear, its a shrine of basses and guitars.

The staff is painfully helpful and polite. I went there to just look and after spending a few hours, one on one type of customer service BTW, I ponied up and just had to have one.

I remember going to their store back in the day it was like going to Disneyland. Today its like going to Disneyland but with a one on one guided tour of behind the scenes. You can actually see and hold the raw construction, talk with the luthier and ask as many questions as you want, never in a hurry.

So do yourself a favor the next time your in Vegas and have a few hours to kill. Call them up and go see some awesome totally custom work. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

18. AJ's in Henderson had some cool bass gear last time I was there.

Mint '51 P for a mere $22K, etc.

I'm not sure if they are still around...