Cool Story

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 3, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My friend's dad told me this story over the weekend:
    Him: True story: A college buddy of mine was celebrating his birthday back in, ohhhh, must've been '81 or so, anyway, we decided to drive to Florida and just spend the weekend getting s#*tfaced! Later that night, we go by a club and see band called Soft White Underbelly playing, so we figured, "What the hell. They've got a cool name." They were damn good! They did some Blue Oyster Cult covers that were dead on. I remember thinking, "Damn, I hope they get big one day. They're good!" Fast forward about 3 years, and I'm in my car, and "Don't Fear The Reaper" comes on Z93 (local station). After the song ends, the DJ say's: "Hey, that was Blue Oyster Cult. BTW, if you ever see band a called Soft White Underbelly on the bill on a small club, go see them! That's the name that Blue Oyster Cult uses when they want to play in a small intimate venue." Man! I 'bout s%*t my pants!"

Me: So you actually saw BOC play, and didn't know it?

Him: Hell yeah!
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse are known to do this at Half Moon Bay and other places near his ranch. I wish I could remember the name...
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have some hazy memory of reading about Led Zeppelin playing out incognito as "The Turd Burglars." Don't really remember the story... but there's a name you can't forget, for sure.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Stones were planning a warmup for one of their '80's
    tours, they were going to play Toad's in New Haven
    CT as The Roach's, but word got out, and some dimwit
    DJ annouced it on the radio, so the gig got cancelled.

At the time they were rehearsing at some ultra secret
    barn in the state.

Cool story though!
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    boc's name used to be soft white underbelly, from what i understand.

iron maiden used to tour under "charlotte and the harlots" at times, from what i remember.
  6. I these guys are NOWHERE near the same scale as BOC, but Sprung Monkey is pretty big here in San Diego, and they go by the name "Hung Donkey" when they play smaller venues....
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I used to tour as "John Turner" ;-)
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's actually a pretty good idea. :D
  9. There was a local punk rock band called Vomit. (an appropriate name) They were full-on like the Germs, banned from every bar, club, VFW hall, grocery store, day care center, etc...

They played a few shows as the Tie Dyed Butterflies before club owners got wise.
  10. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah Weezer plays out as Goat Punishment at small clubs.