Cool Studio/Lame Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 15, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I kinda get bummed about this... bands that sound great in the studio, the even sound "live." But once they hit the stage... something goes wrong.

Monster Magnet: My second favorite band, but Dave Wyndorf sucks live so bad. He tries to put forth extra rock and rock and ends up just losing it. Plus, he usually seems wasted. He's also one of those guys who inserts extra profanities all over the place just to be cool. Plus it always seems like they have a bad mix... always.

Danzig: Similar deal, on that "Demonsweatlive" CD, he sounds like he is going to explode! He's got way way way too much energy and shows no restraint he kinda just blurts out excited noises.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Anthony Keidis for the most part, he's just really bad. But now that John's body is trashed from he's previous herione use, he's kinda lost.

I'm sure I know more... hmmm I notice it's usually the singers fault. :smug:
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've not heard that disc... but I was a big fan back in the day and thought he was better live.

I saw him a couple times in the late 80s... killer shows! ...maybe the roids have got to him :meh:
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ah must be... because I am basing this Danzig review on a single performance. He's just way too much, it's like he can't get the words out because he's going a million miles an hour. It must be a strange feeling.
  4. For the past year or so, Franz Ferdinand have been rated as one of the hottest sounds on the planet. Sorry, but live - not so.

They are sloppy, out of tune and have terrible mix.

On the other hand, another "hot" band at the moment - The Killers, are absolutely rocking live. Very tight, sound a lot like they do in studio and good production.

Goes to show how some of these great new bands are more production of the studio people than really talented musicians.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I was vastly disappointed when I saw them at the first ozzfest. I wasn't the only one, either, lots of people took time in their set to get beer and munchies.

Are you referring to steroids or hemorrhoids? ;)
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I nominate Deftones in this category :)
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, The Deftones, agreed!
  8. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I concur about the Deftones.And as much as I hate to say it I have to nominate The Mars Volta in this category too.Cedric overplays and Omar can't hit most of the notes that he does on record.That said drums/bass and keys hold it down!
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Back to my generation. Boston's first album was an absolute classic pop/rock album. Live, they were HORRIBLE.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Deftones were the worst I have ever seen, bar none. High school battle of the bands level at best.

Mudvayne sounded awful when I saw them, playing seemed correct but the sound made me want to jab a pencil in my ears.

I heard the Clash were awful live.
  11. I don't know how good hey are in the studio, but Echo and the Bunnymen blew big time at HFStival this year. The lead singer was "having vocal problems" (which happens to all at some point, not disputing that) and he quit in the middle of the song. The band came back a few minutes later to try again and only got halfway through the same song. So they quit that song, came back AGAIN and tried a new song, quitting yet again, and was booed off the stage by the fans, who were then cheering "We want Garbage!" (the next band in the lineup. His voice didnt sound bad at all, in fact, i think the guys were either arguing about something, high, or both.
  12. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I dunno Matt, last time I saw the chili peppers, all of them were pretty spot on. This was.... late 2003 I think. But I know what you're talking about, anthony can be terrible live.
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Blue Meanies blew (hahaha) live, but their studio albums are actually pretty good.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

It's like there is 2 Anthonys.... I've seen him as the worse 'Pro' ever and also as a dead on amazing performer.
  15. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Some people have said that Mudvayne and The Mars Volta sounded pretty bad live, but I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it was just a few bad experiences. The only thing I don't like about Mudvayne live is that Chad Grey uses profanity every other word. I'm not the kind that is uptight about that sorta thing, but it just sounds silly after a while.
  16. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    hehe. This works the other way too. Have you ever seen a rocking show and bought the bands studio disc and found it a little...lacking?
  17. I don't know about that one. "Live From Here to Eternity" is pretty awesome, IMO. Granted that is from a collection of different shows, but all the songs sound great, if you're into the Clash. I think some of their shows late together in their existence may have been bad, but that was probably because they were barely speaking to each other by that point.
  18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't know about the validity of my statement, but any conversation I had with people about the Clash ends with "I heard they were awful live". Probably could take that with a grain of salt though.

19. Really? I had always heard that the Magnet were awesome live................ How is the guitarist? I love his fuzz tone , its killer.
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Yup. Anybody remember The Armoury Show? They did a great show on German TV (Rockpalast). I listened to their record the next day...oh boy! :(