1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool tabs to learn?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jan 13, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So, whenever I go into a music store, I always see/hear people playing these cool things, i don't know if you would call them riffs or licks or what, they seem longer than that, but they just seem to be "random", almost like solos. I feel like those kinds of things would be good practice for me, since I haven't been playing long but need a challenge. Does anyone know a place/specific tab for these kinds of things.
    (I also want to learn so that I wont look stupid next time I want to buy a bass, and they ask me "would you like to play it?" and I start playing the bassline to a song, seems just weird)

2. I'm sure a lot of folks here will give you awesome tabs to learn so you can sound skilled at the music store.
    But on another front, forget about impressing them. You are not auditioning for a band. In fact they are auditioning for you, in the form of showing you their awesome equipment.
    You are the one with the money.

3. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, I wasn't saying I wanted to necessarily impress them, but there are usually good bassists/guitarists there, and I get embarrassed pretty easily, so I want to be able to hold my own if I want to try a bass, thats all. And i'm sure people have lots of good tabs here, they just all need to come to this thread :p

4. Oh, I get it. What most folks do at music stores is "noodling", playing a lick here and a riff there. Of course there are some that will impose an entire song on the customers.
    Nevertheless, search through the tablature forum for songs you know and master just a couple of lines from them. After you get 4-5 of them, string it together and you are an accomplished noodler. Also look on tab sites for songs.
    When I check out basses at music stores, all I usually do is finger warm ups and maybe a riff from some song I know. Most of the time, I don't even plug in to an amp. I am checking out how the bass feels and plays. Then if it passes that test, I may plug in.

5. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Ok, I get what youre saying, I think I should probably wait till i'm a little better to actually use it in a store, but it should work, though my main goal is still just practice. And I must not be a very good bass buyer, I bought my bass without even playing it (granted I didn't know how to play or what it should sound like :p)

6. what I did was learn the blues scale in c, primary through tertiary forms.
    That way you can just noodle around all over the fingerboard and still make it sound passable for checking out a bass.
    You dont have to just play the notes from low to high or high to low, but if you keep within the scale and use your root it will sound fine.

7. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    The Blues Scale(s) are the primary foundation for most rock, country, pop, soul and of course r & b music. There are certainly many elements of the blues scales used in jazz, but....learn the blues scales 1st and foremost. Once you learn a few walking patterns, you can play dang near every Stevie Ray Vaughn, Stones, Hank Williams, BB King, orThe Monkees tune to name a couple out of 2,000,000 artists.

The beauty is how as long as you understand where the notes are in a scale, you can transpose it to any other chord change in a song. Once you string together some catchy little patterns you like....Dude, you are sooooo noodling.

Or you can learn either a verse and chorus to a couple Iron Maiden tunes and wow the others too! Some of my fondest memories of starting out was in checking what guys were doing when they would plunk guitars down at the local music store. I even had Gary Richrath show me how to play Ridin' the Storm Out at a music store once. I didn't realize he was in there (we were both in Champaign IL), and was severely humbled to realize I'd been hacking away at it with my own version I had figured out.

But being a guitar shop rat when I was a kid (we had like 6 of them within bike ride distance), I got to check out the cats at the hard rock guitar store, the two acoustic/folkie guitar shops, the happening all english import music store, the country music store, the pop band music store. It rocked getting to see so many great players in so many great styles of music.

And it's also a great chance to meet some cats and get your name out. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself, compliment a guys really hot sounding riff, ask him if it was something he was just ripping on or was it by someone....Network, network, network! Doesn't matter how good you are yet, but it can matter down the road how good a guy you are in your music community.