Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool techneque Im using

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jan 2, 2006.

1. So today, I was messing around with my bass, and I noticed, I use my thumb alot, not to slap or anything, Im not really into playing the fancy stuff. But for chords and the like, and I couldn't get the full sound, so I went to GC today, and got a thumb pic. I'm loving it. I still use alot of finger style, just whenever I need to use my thumb poof, I can get a full sound. So, Im really liking it, y'all should try it out. I don't know if anybody famous uses this kind of technique

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    do a search on Dominique DiPiazza, he uses a thumb pick in his techique...awesome.

3. I do the same thing as you. I use my thumb almost as much as my index and middle fingers, even when I'm not slapping, but I never thought to try it with a thumb pick. Probably sounds cool if you can do it good and clean. I might have to try this.

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that is a great idea. I never would have thought of it. Looks like a trip to the store is in order. I prefer using fingers, but use a pick for chords.

5. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    I use my thumb minus thumb pick especially when chording. I also will double thumb bass notes while chording with less attack than when I slap and it seems to nail the fingerstyle tone. Good idea to use a thumb pick if it helps your playing, I think both ways are productive.

6. I don't like using a thumb pick because it interferes with my thumb muting. YMMV.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK