1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool techneque Im using

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jan 2, 2006.

1. So today, I was messing around with my bass, and I noticed, I use my thumb alot, not to slap or anything, Im not really into playing the fancy stuff. But for chords and the like, and I couldn't get the full sound, so I went to GC today, and got a thumb pic. I'm loving it. I still use alot of finger style, just whenever I need to use my thumb poof, I can get a full sound. So, Im really liking it, y'all should try it out. I don't know if anybody famous uses this kind of technique

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    do a search on Dominique DiPiazza, he uses a thumb pick in his techique...awesome.

3. I do the same thing as you. I use my thumb almost as much as my index and middle fingers, even when I'm not slapping, but I never thought to try it with a thumb pick. Probably sounds cool if you can do it good and clean. I might have to try this.

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that is a great idea. I never would have thought of it. Looks like a trip to the store is in order. I prefer using fingers, but use a pick for chords.

5. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    I use my thumb minus thumb pick especially when chording. I also will double thumb bass notes while chording with less attack than when I slap and it seems to nail the fingerstyle tone. Good idea to use a thumb pick if it helps your playing, I think both ways are productive.

6. I don't like using a thumb pick because it interferes with my thumb muting. YMMV.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK