Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool things made with wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LajoieT, Sep 13, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    OK, this is kind of WAY off topic, but I don't think the OT forum would really be the right crowd for it, and while the folks most likely to be interested would be in Larry's Gallery Hardwood forum, the wood didn't come from him so that's not going to work either. So I figure the majority of us wood nuts wouldbe hanging around in the luthier's forum waiting for shots of some of our fine luthiers work. If anyone has an issue with it being here, please feel free to suggest where to move it and thats cool with me...

OK, so anyone come across anything REALLY cool using wood in different ways than "normal". Consider sharing it here with the rest of us.

One of our hospitals was working on renovating their courtyard garden as part of a new "Healing Environment" initiative, and the centerpoint of the courtyard had been this maple tree that was planted in the 80's in memory of one of their Nursing School students from 1912. The tree however was found to be dying, so it needed to be replaced. They contacted a local artist (Shinichi Miyazaki) about using the tree for some type of functional sculpture for the hospital. Here is the results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Nice idea, doesnt really strike me as an unconventional or unusual use for wood though. there are quite a few of these style benches around england so it might be just im use to the raw wood style?

Care to explain or re-word it?

3. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Way cool!! Very Artistic. Unconventional and unusual no matter where ya live, unless your from England LOL!