Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool things on late night TV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Conan: Isaac Hayes was on and he sang "Shaft" using the MW7 plus about 12 other musicians and 3 singers. And he changed the words to "Conan," which was funny at first but then I got bummed because he didn't really sing "Shaft." But the band sounded great, and did an awesome extended ending. Mike Merritt played a black G&L Precision with what sounded like flats.

Carson Daly: The North Mississippi All-Stars are on, and their guitarist is playing not only guitar but a 1 string guitar made out of a cigar box. He called it a "lobo." It has a round fretless neck, and sounded amazing. Chris Chew is playing a Lakland, as he has for the past couple of years.

Anyway, I thought that all was pretty cool.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was actually bummed that Isaac didn't do one of his unknown songs (AKA not Shaft/Conan) so people can see him as a very talented artist... but instead he'll remain a gimmick icon in the public eye.

I did smile at how Mike Merritt had a huge grin the whole time... everytime he looked at Isaac he smiled really big. Something tells me the dude is a fan... Even though he just does covers... the dude can play!

Speaking of Carson: FIREBALL MINISTRY WAS ON a day or two ago! A Stoner rock band that isn't Queens of the Stoneage getting some mainstream props!!

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And a week or so ago Conan had a trio consisting of bass, drums, and UKELELE???? But the uke player was a killer.

I'd even buy his CD if I had a clue who he was. But the shows are really bad about explaining whose musical performance you switched over during. Okay I know that is bad grammar, but I wrote it four times and none of them looked right.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's the guy. He killed it. I never knew you could do that on a uke. :bassist:

6. i thought it was kinda cool with the conan thing...i thought jim carrey was really funny last nite!

7. groovemachine

groovemachine

Oct 4, 2005
    Hawaii
    Jake also recorded with Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. His drummer is Noel Okimoto & I think the bassist is Dean Taba.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio