Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool things to do in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rugrat, Jun 24, 2005.

1. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I will be there on business in July. We're staying by the Cincinnati Mills Mall. Can anyone suggest something cool to do in that area? Thanks!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The only thing I can come up with quickly is to eat Chilli Five-Way until you explode...

3. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I ate chili yesterday, it was hotter leaving than going in :oops:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. I live about 3 hours from Cinci, its a pretty neat place. "Cin" city, they call it :)

You should check out http://www.bogarts.com/schedule.html and see if anyone you like is going to be at Bogarts during your stay. Bogarts is a great place to see music, one of my favorites within a few hours of where I live. Rob Zombie will be there on August 1st. :D

King's Island is a pretty big attraction in that area if you like roller coasters or theme parks in general. Check out http://www.pki.com for that.

6. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois

Great! Thanks! :hyper:

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    well, right in cinci mills mall is GC.....weeeeeeeeeedoggies!!!
    :D :bassist: :hyper:
    PM me, if you want, and we could say hi, have a beer, bring down some property values!
    and...if yer here on a thursday, and have a bass in hand (or wish to use one of mine), there's a blues jam down in covington...which, mebbe, some of the other TBers could come to...we'll make it a bass takeover night!
    (think 'big bottom')
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Be sure to tune in WKRP on the radio.

:D

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well... it's Ohio.

So, I would say go to sleep.

:bag:

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I dated a girl in college who was from Ohio. She said the coolest thing to do there was leaving... :bag:

11. You have any more info on that? I might be interested. :bassist:

12. Cincinnati is also called "The Nati"

Food:
    - Skyline Chili (you didn't really have chili the other night, you just thought you did)
    - Montgomery Inn ribs.
    - LaRosa's Pizza
    - If you want to spend some money on seafood - Mike Fink

Entertainment:
    - The mall you are staying at isn't that great - except for the fact that Bootsy Collins occasionally stops into the GC there. I've seen him twice there. Kenwood Town Centre is a great mall. Ask for directions.
    - Kings Island is one of the premier amusement parks in the country.
    - Newport on the Levee - it's across the river, great place to grab something to eat and catch a movie
    - Newport aquarium - it is at Newport on the Levee
    - Great American Ball Park is a nice place to see a game. The Reds suck, but it's hard to beat a Skyline coney and a Hudepohl on a hot day.
    - Southgate House - Walter Trout is there on the 14th if you like blues.
    - The Madison Theater - The following acts are there in July - Whitesnake, The Wallflowers, Pete Yorn, Dinosaur Jr., Static X
    - Click here to see the local acts during the month of July on Jambase. AcaciaModulus and BrianfromLangus on TB can give you some more information, and may be playing out while you are here.
    -
    Fraze Pavillion has some great acts in July if you want to make the drive.
    - The Freedom Center is cool.
    - Mike's Music has some great vintage gear. Just make sure you go there during the day - for that matter, unless you are going to a restaurant or to Mikes, stay away from downtown and the UC campus altogether. Rough.
    - Rusty at Midwest Music is a great guy and usually has some real gems. He carries MarkBass, Ashdown, Lull, F Bass, Sadowsky, Suhr, Warrior. He has a Lull in there right now that I am going nuts over!!!! Top notch guy!

13. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    hey, mey...
    i will have to check out the new addy for it. it's just a block or three from where it was, but as soon as i get the addy, i will get it to you.
    it was at jazzmania, w. 8th and willard, but jazzmania sold out. i hope to check out the new location this week. then we can interface and stuff.

14. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Sounds great guys, I don't know if we'll be up for much travelling or late night stuff but it would be cool to get together for a couple of beers close by. I will have to get up very early. I will be in town July 11th through the 13th. Let's keep in touch! Kevin

15. Whatever you do, I would try to go by Midwest Music and check out Rusty's gear. Ask him to play his personal fretless, you won't regret it! Tell him Chris sent you.

16. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Hey, if you find yourself in Cincy on July 3rd, and like original rock, stop by the P&G Pavilion and check out my band. Its the FOX 92.5 All-American Birthday celebration! Its double nice if your a Pat Benatar fan! She goes on at 8pm. Click HERE for more info. We go on at 3:30.