1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool tool for removing knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JohnnyPustular, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. This morning I was struggling to get the push-on knobs off my bass, so I went out to my garage for tool inspiration. The trick, of course, is finding a tool that won't leave a mark on the paint or knob itself. In desperation, I stumbled from my woodworking tools to my auto repair tools and found exactly what I was looking for! This tool is called a 'spark plug puller' and works like a charm. It gives you great grip on the two sides of the knob and is rubber coated as to not mar the surface. If I recall, they are pretty cheap at Amazon and/or your local auto parts shop.

IMG_0552. IMG_0553.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Might want to double check your attachments.

Eric_71 likes this.
  3. Thanks ddnidd1!

4. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Great suggestion. Was just postulating how to get some push-on knobs off without scratching the surface. Thanks.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Two:

Screwdrivers, spoons, chisels, forks, knives, thin bars of steel, or insert suggestion here resting on two non-marring pads.

Or you could purchase or build a knob puller.

It is better to lift from the bottom and move the knob straight up the knurled shaft. It is easy to bend the shaft when pulling with pliers-like devices. That doesn't make anyone happy.

Lownote38 likes this.