1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool Topic Bass Clones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Apr 14, 2010.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Well after thinking to myself I want a P bass but, also knowing I stone cold hate the big F. I realise I'm at a loss of options but, then I thought all of you guys must know some clone companies like Jay Turser, Indiana, AXL, Johnson, SX, Brice, Douglas, and the like. Even defunct companies that are on places like Craigslist, Daddys, and Musicgoround.

So wanna help me out it's like a game I guess only you know I got a $300 limit and you sorta get nothing but, a thanks and maybe I'll send ya' two bucks for a Slurppee. (Yeah I just said that :p)

2. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    go getcha a Peavey Fury and never look back

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You named 7 companies, but are at a loss?

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

5. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    that thing is gorgeous - but the OP set a 300.00 limit.
    That Fury in the classifieds with the SD basslines would fit the bill nicely.

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Truth be told I never really played a Peavy what's the neck like? I sorta like 'em wider than a Jazz.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Sounds to me like you want a P bass.

8. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to try out an SX bass (or two) for less than $300?

http://www.sxbasses.com/

9. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    The necks on the Peavey Fury's IMO are great - a little smaller than a P bass neck, and just a touch more heft than the Jazz. I have 2 Foundations and just love 'em. pound for pound, the older Peaveys are the best US made basses for the money

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    @ bovinehost: I DO want a P bass only if you mean get a Fender I'm not a big fan overpriced bland instruments is all they make I don't like stuff that are overrated peices of overpriced firewood. SORRY.

@ testing1two: I am looking in to that but, I'm not buying a refridgerator white P/J bass I got a Yamaha RBX170 already.

@ TC2112: Thanks for the info I think that's the same width of my RBX170 (i'm guessing) are the Fury's hard to some by? I'm looking for a P bass but, I'm not really looking to GET it right now.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No problems here, I'm an Ernie Ball guy all the way, but if I were saying to myself, "Hmm, I want a P bass", then I'd go buy a Fender P bass and avoid the hassles of "underpriced firewood".

Someone (might have been me) said, 'If you can't do it with a P bass, maybe you shouldn't be doing it at all.'

I'm kind of on the lookout for a cheap MIM/MIJ P at the moment, actually. I have nothing against Fender. Grew up with them. Got a nice Jazz bass right here. Fender makes good stuff.

Where in Texas are you? Big Guitar Show this weekend in Dallas.

Jack

12. Better look again: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
    They have 7 colors to choose from, most with the choice of rosewood or maple necks. Not a better deal on the planet.

13. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    But, my ideal P bass is a ala Sid Vicous P bass white body black pickguard.

I'm not a Fender fan never have been. Proably won't ever be. I just have a hate for them like I hate the color red for a shirt it doesn't mean you can't wear one I just don't want one. I feel Fender MADE good stuff back before CBS bought 'em but, being as I am not employed right now I really don't have the pockets for a pre CBS Fender. Plus, most of what you pay them for nowadays for a bass goes for recouping all the ads they buy, I've played alot MIM's and a few MIA's and honestly my ATK smoked them in quality of construction, and componets.

Besides Fender needs new models, new body shapes, they are stuck in the past resting on their history their not trying to make it anymore.

While Fender is good for some people to me it's a red shirt.

Sorry it's a bit of a rant I just typed and it sorta came out but, yeah no I don't want a Fender.

14. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    UPDATE

I plan on getting a AXL P bass the headstock looks unique (weird) but, they got a bass just like sid for around $210.oo leaving me money to get a string set and a cool spiked leather strap.

15. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    W T F???
    Meaning that's not a P bass.

17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    What a delightful bit of closed-mindedness.

18. I hate red , i hate red shirts so much i went on a rant about this the other day.

Anyways i know you hate fender but you want the sid look , why not get the squier VM in white and black its modeled after sid's bass , its in your price range and its not a fender, squiers kick fenders ass .

19. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah I actually tried those out even I have to admit that actually felt good, it had a nice sound with the Duncan pickups and everything but, the Squier logo made me both filled with awe and detest. Is there a way I can maybe burn the logo off or something I saw a thread about it somewhere on here not to long ago but, I didn't bookmark it.

I might get like a custom decal to paste over it too.
    Still the Squier logo gets me. But, I keep thinking that bass really sounded good.

20. I think all squier logos besides the CV line have there logos above the clear so you should basically be able to strip the logo off simple