1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool video of Chris Chaney tracking bass with a Lakland BG.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3tsb, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO

I wonder if he's running his Eclair Evil Twin on this. The artist is Jenna Bryson. Found some songs, but nothing on iTunes. Not sure if it's out yet or just didn't get released. None the less, it's cool to get a glimpse of Chris at work.

2. Another beautiful player. Wonderful feel! Thanks for posting!

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I love seeing the in studio videos. Thanks!

4. Nice . Thanks for sharing !!

5. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    How do you know he runs an Evil Twin?

6. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    Yeah, I wish I could find more of these. It's interesting also to see the interaction between the producer and Chris. He (Chirs) comes off as a very professional and humble guy. I guess that's why he's a "first call" bassist.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Awesome! Love that guy!

8. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    I read it somewhere. I think in BP. They used to run a section on a pro's session, i.e. who, what, when, where and even the pay. In it he said he used a Lakland JO and an Evil Twin direct into the board.

9. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Thanks a lot for sharing.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I found this a while ago, and it changed my playing attitude. He shows that music is all about the feel and emotion. He plays that incredible run, that would have sounded awesome, but let's it go for the track. Very cool.

I look up to Chris.. I'd love to meet him.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Great vid. Beautiful P-bass, beautiful tone, beautiful feel.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've always loved Chris Chaney's playing and I can see why you'd feel that way about that clip. But to me it was less about choosing "feel and emotion" over technical prowess as it was giving a producer what they want. I don't think the actual line had any more feel and emotion than the throwaway lick did, but it "works" better for that kind of derivative pop where the music should have a groove but not stand out in any way. A far cry from Jamerson's work with MoTown but Chaney has always been a guy who "gets it" and delivers what the situation calls for.

And he's a great player. I've seen him in a couple contexts where he let it all hang out and had more freedom and it's a very different experience.

13. touji

touji

Feb 12, 2009
    Williamsburg, VA
    Were those ALL inputs for that rack tuner @ 2:50?!

14. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Are my eyes fooling me? I think I see an Aguilar at 1:04. But there's also something plugged in to that black box at 2:53 (but have no idea what that is).

He seems like the consummate professional: fully aware of what the music is, is not, and could be, and yet plays what is asked of him to fit the vision of the producer. I think sometimes people think "less is more" for pop songs but that's a producers'/artists' call. I mean, can you imagine what some pop songs (new or old) would be if all people did was "play what works" or "play to the song"? The run he plays works. His creativity has to mean something, right?

15. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Some more nice playing from Chris

16. Paul Brandsen

Paul Brandsen

Aug 19, 2010
    If you look carefully you can see the Evil Twin ... on the left. And it's on ofcourse :)

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love his attitude. It's something we need to see more often.

18. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    No,The other inputs go to various pieces of outboard gear

19. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Great player with a great attitude!!! I'm sure he's real busy!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: