1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cool wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vbasscustom, Apr 7, 2009.

1. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    haha, the title is a bit deceiving, its so i could rope you guys into reading. i have a drummer friend, and he wants me to make him a set of laminated drumsticks from a bunch of different wood. i was wondering if this was ok? i dont know how much you guys will know, but i thought i would ask here even though its got nothing to do with basses

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I don't see why not, most all laminates start with wood and glue....... Why not? What's the worst that could happen?

3. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I would think that a bunch of laminates glued end to end would be very weak, especially for hitting drums. You could glue some together along the length of the drumstick and that might look cool after it comes off the lathe.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Oh, end to end?

That changes everything...

I was thinking many small pieces about the length of a stick.

5. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Even so, wouldn't a bunch of small pieces glued together (end to end or not) be fairly brittle when it is as thin as a drum stick?

I think it would look better that way. Go ahead and try, no loss if it snaps in half right?

6. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    What about getting a small metal rod and drilling a hole through each piece of wood and making a wood shishkabob? That would atleast give it some strength if you glue it end to end.

7. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well i was going to glue them lengthwise. just because it looks really cool off the lathe, i do it with pens all the time. i was just wondering if the sticks have anything to do with the sound of the drums and if a certain wood is used for that

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Hickory is used for sticks because it is strong and cheap.

Most of the exotics I use have off fall that is the perfect size for a stick or two and the drummers that have received them have been too afraid to use them; they look too nice.

Go for it.

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I know I'd smash those suckers back into unglued laminates about ten seconds into my first drum solo. :D

Seriously, its been done and they're really only good for the artsy style...

10. Hi.

Pen turning was something I immediately thought of when I read the original post. Quarter segments would be nice and probably strong enough, but 6 or 8 segment would look absolutely stunning with different kinds of woods. Might break the tip off too easily though :(.

I'm a total novice when it comes to drumming, it's been 20 years since I sold my kit and I just bought an e-kit (POS), but drumsticks affect the sound and feel of drumming quite a bit. More than the heads some might say.

I'm sure Your drummer will point out the most obvious aspects he likes in his sticks, mainly the lenght, diameter (taper if any), weight, balance point, finish and type of the tip.

He'll probably let You try some of his various sticks too to get a feel how they perform.

Just make sure to post pics when You're done turning the sticks (before the test drumming, if possible ;))

Regards
    Sam

11. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    The problem with making a pair of drumsticks is that if you are going to make a playable pair - not just for decoration - the pitch and the sound of those sticks will have to match. Basically that means you will have to build more than two sticks in order to find a sound-wise matching pair.

Even if you made two sticks from the same plank of wood, there's no guarantee that those two sticks will have the same pitch or sound the same when hitting a drum. Consistency is pretty crucial in a drummer's tone.

As for durability, I don't know if laminated wood is a good idea. I would try using a graphite core for the sticks, although I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

12. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    cool, thanks for the replys. and i will definetly post pics after im done

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Not a lot of drummers chiming in here I see. I wasn't kidding in my above post, they will undoubtedly break into smithereens in a very short time. I'm not even all that hard on my kit, but I bust rock hard one piece hickory sticks all the time. I've tried laminated bamboo - shattered. Laminated and fiberglassed sticks - shattered. Every laminated stick I've played over the years has crapped out on me darn near instantly. The other problem is they may absorb more vibration due to the laminates and might not have the nice bounce a firm hickory stick is known for.

And no offense to stifflip, but after drumming for over 20 years, I can say for myself, my "tone" is in the head tuning and my hands, not in the stick. I can't count the amount of times I have broken a stick, reached for a fresh one and continued on with literally no discernible difference in "tone". I've tried all different kinds and prefer sticks based on size and weight, not wood and having a "matched tone". In fact, most times when I buy sticks, I just go to the bin and select two to make a pair. Although sticks can be bought in pairs, its pretty common to find them sold as singles, and ya just buy two...

14. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, they probly wont actually be used. he pretty much just wants them as a converasation peice

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, now that I'm not tense at work, I guess I shouldn't be a "negative nelly". There are players out there who like a laminated stick I imagine, or they wouldn't be made! Zildjian makes a birch laminated stick but I've never tried theirs. I guess we'll see what your buddy says. I doubt they'd be super cost effective to manufacture though...