Cool?-yes; $10K-no

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Feb 14, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Airbrushing is a form of spraypaint, but you don't call a good motorcycle artist or goalei mask artist just a guy with spraypaint, haha. ;)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yes, but because these are scanned pics, that is what that glare was... You know the glare a colored photo gives off? Spray paint usually has the same glare, and I noticed that.

And I didnt read that it was a 55-94, I just looked at the pics for a second. So It may be, but looking at that crappy "Pain job" I would have assumed it was a 55-01 till I noticed the Pup config.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Then who's the guy in the one pic holding the "actual bass"?
    Jim Roberts ("American Basses" author) is pretty reputable, so if he say's it's a 55-94....it's a 55-94!

I own the book, and when you see the pic close up the paint job is very inticate and textured......hardly "spray paint".:rolleyes:

$150 for 3 day insured shipping at $10,000 would not be out of line. Would you ship a $10,000 (or more) item "Ground". If I bought a $10,000 item I would kick in another $70 for "next day" for sure.

FWIW, I don't think he'll get a nearly $10,000 openning bid either.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    It pisses me off that someone could "win" a bass that cool then try to cash in on it.

Sorry...just does!

6. Bizzare.... :confused: :eyebrow:

7. dang...i guess i stand corrected. i never thought about what the insurance for a $10k bass might be.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    UPS is $1.00 per $100 insurance so that would add $100 to the shipping rate so I'd say UPS Ground would run you about $135.

9. hehe I just posted a few days ago about the ook that bass was offered in

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I so agree.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

Care to repeat that in English?

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    If I won a bass like that I wouldnt want it... I'd Sell it.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Why. If I own it, it's mine to do with as I please. I think it's ugly as hell and I don't particularly like Laklands, so I'd sell it and buy something I liked and hope the buyer would enjoy it in the way I wouldn't.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah, well you could set it on fire and then piss on it to put it out if you wanted as well.

That wasn't my point...nevermind. :rollno:

15. I put up a thread in Misc. about one of the books offering that bass as the give away

16. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Sounds like a plan, make mine a 55-94 with and Eden rig (300 watss should do) and I will still have a bunch of money left over! :p

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Well, what exactly was your point?

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

My point was that this guy won the bass for the price of the book he bought and while it's certainley within his rights to do with it as he sees fit, it's pretty tacky to plop it up on ebay at $3,900 over full retail value (not that anyone's going to pay him that much).

If I had won it I know what I'd do with it...I'd ship it to Jim Roberts (author of "American Basses") as a gift for all he's done for the bass community.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021