1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cooler Just To Have One Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john nam, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Of course it's nice to have an arsenal of basses like many of us TBers do, but I'm starting to think it's cooler just to have that one bass that sort of defines you, like most of the bass giants have. Sure, they have other basses, but most of them play that one main bass which become synonymous with them, like Jaco and his fretless Jazz, Victor and his Monarch (sometimes Yin-Yang), Jamerson with his P, and Pino with his. Imagine if Victor played a different bass each show, from a Fodera to a Fender to an MTD, then a Sadowsky, Ken Smith, etc.? He would still sound awesome, but he would lose a couple of cool points, even though those are all great instruments, wouldn't he? Come to think of it, even the great local players around here have that one bass that they're identified by and they don't switch basses around much.

2. Try to find a bass guitar that few players use and make it your trademark. Let's see, Ibanez SRX has few representations, Fender Aerodyne, Epiphone EB-3s, ESP bass guitars, any of the new 2012 Schecter models...

3. Cool..... What do you mean by "cool"? Like Fonzie cool? What's cool is when you have your turds in a herd,and are able to own and play different basses for different gig/studio situations. Now that's cool.

4. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I remember Jaco playing some sort of boutique bass toward the end if his career, and it just didn't suit him. I have a bass now that is the best out of the last thirteen or so basses that I have owned. It sounds great in a lot of situations. I have one other that I will do for low volume small acoustic type work. It is too lush for most of the work that I do. I keep looking for a better bass and some day I may find it, but maybe not.

5. I was actually hoping ATKs would have been the one-and-only bass I needed. However, the more you try out bass guitars, the more you start to appreciate each one, what it's good at and so on...

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    only one bass cool? hahaha no ******* way.
    you got to be like the guitarplayers and bring at least 4 of them and let them sit in a multi-rack on stage to be cool :help:

7. champlainbass

champlainbass

Feb 15, 2010
    Peru, NY
    Thank you millsbass5 for my new favorite saying.

"turds in a herd".

Love it.

8. But even the coolest guitar players are known for that one signature guitar of theirs. Maybe "legendary" is a better word.

9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I agree with you john my ATK305 in the ugly Trifade is basically me in a bass.

It's kinda heavy

It's got a switch that can change it's character on the fly (Like me as I'm Bi Polar when I get a little angry)

It isn't real pretty (IMO it looks like puke but I can't bring myself to change it)

And finally the ATKs in general are not real popular (I and alot of people can relate to that as not alot of us can say we were the cool kids in school)

HOWEVER I disagree with you on Wooten losing cool points that just doesn't compute with me. I mean that guy couldn't lose cool points if he tried. (Victor please don't change man love you)

As for the Jaco thing I'd love to see Jaco try that play a different bass everynight thing if he did I think we wouldn't be talking about who builds the best Jaco replica we'd be starting contests to see who has the most.

Think of it if Jaco could've still found his voice no matter the bass that could have ended the seemingly neverending GAS we all have.

10. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Any action contrived to be cool is inherently uncool.

11. Well put.

12. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Banned

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks, it really needs hand gestures to get the best effect ;)

13. I think most bassists are this. Even the studio guys I know have their number one.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Lots of guys own multiple instruments but have a definite "main" axe. Or maybe alternate between 2 or 3 that they're seen with the vast majority of the time.

15. Nope

16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
  17. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    because Kwesi is old and when he was a kid it was the the 70's and "hip" was the new cool :rollno:

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    So like , HIP to have just one bass.....

19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    ROFL. um, what?