Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coolest bass riff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ~Loxley~, Apr 29, 2000.

1. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I was just wondering what your all time favorite bass riff is.
    I think personally I would stick with "My Friend Of Misery" by Metallica or perhaps "Day Tripper" by the Beatles. [​IMG]

2. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Huh, I love that My friend of misery riff too..
    And the other riffs I love are that Dazed and Confused from Led Zeppelin and Anasthasia Pulling Teeth - Cliff Burton although it's a solo.And I wonder that why you're askin' that?

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I really like Victor Wooten's riff on the Flecktones "Sinister Minister"

-KB

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There are tons of them:
    "Handy" - Wishbone Ash
    "Blue Turk" - Alice Cooper
    "Gutter Cat vs. The Jets" - Alice Cooper
    "Chameleon" - Herbie Hancock
    "Hyperactive" - Thomas Dolby
    "Gotta Get a Message to You" - Sly & the Family Stone
    "Lark's Tongue in Aspic Pt. 2" - King Crimson

I think that "Friend of Misery" was my favorite cut from Metallica on that tape; I was surprised it didn't get any airplay.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man...there are thousands out there!
    One that immediately popped into my head-"Kid Logic" from Victor Bailey's first solo disc(is that esoteric enuff for ya?).

6. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I'd like to check out Wooten's playing on Sinister Minister. Let's see....I don't want to spend $15 on the CD just for that..after all, I may NOT like the whole disc. I guess I could look for it on Napster and if I DID like it, then buy the CD. But, according to some people, that would be against the law. So....any suggestions on how to check out something you haven't heard...and cannot borrow from someone?
    I think this very thing is what is at the base of the Napster dispute.
    Okay..to be on topic here.....Jack Bruce on Politician. A simple riff that got stuck in my head and is STILL there.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Opening riffs for Higher Ground, Jerry was a Racecar Driver, DMV, King Nothing.
    Solos in Aeroplane, Nature Boy, Damn Blue Collared Tweakers, Feels so Good, Tommy the Cat, Sinister Minister.

------------------
    "I'm no hero. I just like to hit people on the head." - Nelson

8. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have certain songs that I love or listen to for some inspiration that contain a riff that's really cool in my humblest opinion.

One of the coolest riffs is in Anita Baker's "Mystery". I like listening to stuff that I can actually sit down, learn, and play, but no matter how good a job I do, it never "feels" like the original recording.

Lots of stuff from the Motown and 70's era, Ain't no Mountain High Enough, both Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross versions, Midnight train to Georgia, Forget me Nots-real cool, do-able slap yet melodic style.

I also love led Zep's second album almost all the tunes bass-wise, but my memory for what the actual riffs are hasn't been tested on that style of music for 25 years already.

But of all the above, definitely the bass part on Mystery has the coolest feel.

LKaye

9. The Staple Singers "I'll Take You There".
    It may not please the head bangers, but it's got a groove a mile deep!!!!!!!
    Later
    Chuck

10. some are simple but sound alright (maybe not the best)
    Live- Sparkle
    Aerosmith- Gotta love it (good bass solo/doodle in the middle)
    Green day- Long view
    Pink floyd- Money (the opening riff)
    there's just some off the top of my head that i think sound cool.

------------------
    sitting on a castle, on the floor with Ezmeralda, waiting for the geezer, captain crunch to come around. felling suicidal 'cos of certain situations, hanging from the stairs too long, i think i'm coming down....it's time to CRASH!!!

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

12. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    A whole note rest!
    jc

13. chris wright

chris wright

Mar 31, 2000
    my all time favorite bass riff is maxwell murder by Rancid for those who don't like punk rock you should still check out this song either by listening to it or looking at the tabs it has a cool solo in it but doesn't hold a match to a les claypool solo

14. Staci

Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    Uh..."smoke on the water?" (groan) [​IMG]

15. How about-

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter
    Don't Fear the Reaper (break)- Blue Oyster Cult
    Climbin' Up the Ladder - The Isley Bros.
    Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
    Take it off the Top - Dixie Dregs
    Blue Collar Man - Styx
    Birdland - Weather Report
    Hed for Backstage Pass - Jeff Beck

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Low Rider"-War(sans Eric Burdon) [​IMG]

17. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    JimK, OH YES!!!!! [​IMG]

18. dynis

dynis

May 3, 2000
    To...KB...
    Thanks for mentioning "Sinister Minister". I listened to that song....now I can't get the damn thing out of my head!!!!.... [​IMG]

19. sdmfbass

sdmfbass

May 2, 2000
    favorite bass riffs:
    NIB intro-Black Sabbeth (geezer butler)
    little green bag-george baker selection
    No more Tears-Ozzy Osbourne (Mike Inez)
    you can call me al-paul simon

20. Ben E

Ben E

May 3, 2000
    The coolest bass riffs are, The "what if" interlude by Creed, and the entire song "Freedom or Fire" by Fear Factory (The greatist band ever). My friend of Misery is a fun one to play aswell.......