1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Coolest Bass Video Ever? Restringing Your Bass While Soloing Live?!?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by boristhespider9, Jan 7, 2012.

1. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
  2. Pandabass

Pandabass

Aug 14, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Nothing can stop George Porter from grooving. Nothing.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
  4. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Not even his own bass. 0.o

5. That's it. I need a roadie...

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    And he was smiling the whole time....

7. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
  8. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I saw Donald Kinsey of the Kinsey Report do something like this: He replaced the B string on his guitar while singing the lead vocal and got it up to pitch RIGHT before unleashing his solo. Crowd went bananas of course.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I realize GP is near deity but, c'mon, all that boing, boing, boing and paint scraping coming around the #3 turn is better than a 4 bar drum fill long enough for his guy to hand him another axe?

seriously,:rollno:

10. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Did he....did he just make tuning part of the jam? That's so cool!

Also, on the stretching video, I like that the top comment is simply "Please don't do this to any instrument."

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I saw BB King do that (change a string in mid-song, without missing a beat).
    It was ultra-impressive, and ultra-professional. I was blown away.

12. xfretlessx

xfretlessx

Dec 17, 2010
    Mohawk, NY
    that was awesome!

and as for the second video...wow what an idiot:scowl:

13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    I'm not sure I even understand what you're saying.

And, isn't it possible that even George Porter brought only one bass to the gig?

And, of all the silly stuff that rattles other players on stage, to be able to hold the groove and keep your cool while playing live in this situation is a good lesson in any event.

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    What I am saying is this:
    If I posted a clip of me doing that at some stupid bar gig, I would be inundated with posts about how totally unprofessional it is to not be prepared for EVERY possibility.

I'll bet you lunch nobody would be talking about how totally cool I was.

Search for posts about backup basses. You'll find guys posting that they carry extra everything INCLUDING guitar strings and drumstickes "ya know, just in case..."

To be clear, I'd be doing the same thing. I'm not saying he shoulda done any different.

I'm just a little surprised at the high fiving.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/do-you-bring-back-up-bass-gigs-832019/index1.html

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I think this is the slickest change from a broken string.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - YouTube

But George Porter...shame for not bringing a spare axe.

16. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
  17. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Yea, well I think it's awesome. And I always bring a backup bass. I'd rather be cool enough to do it this way. High Five! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'm glad nobody was in the space the string lashed out into. He certainly didnt care. A better performer imo, would have paused, made sure broke string was captured, maybe laughed, then let someone else do a solo while he got his backup bass or went and did string change. Not familiar with Porters stuff. Nothing in the video impressed me at all. Lol.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Now that it's being argued, I also didn't find anything particuarly "cool" about that string change. And I agree that if it were an unkown doing that, it most likely would have gotten an opposite reaction. Lots of "cooler" ways to handle a string breaking than to have an entire performance upstaged by some dude changing a string while you're playing. The more I think of it, the less cool it gets.

Coolest string change I ever saw was with a 3 piece, bass heavy band playing a small club in the city once. Guy popped a bassstring and somehow, as if it happened all the time, changed it mid song without it even seeming as if anything happened. The bass dropped out for a minute, but this guy had the new one on almost instantly and was right back in the game without even a grunt. I guess ya kinda had to be there and see it. I was impressed.