1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coolest looking tube amp! (IMO)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dethrats, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Dethrats

Dethrats

Oct 26, 2010
    Napoleon, Ohio

discuss :)

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    DAYYUMMM!!!

The tone sounds a little thin to me, but other than that, I like it!

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Sounds pretty good too. $1800? I like it!

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Reminds me (look-wise) of the Line 6 tube guitar heads. Sounds cool but not my cup of tea, I'm not a huge fan of see-through heads, they look *cheap* to me.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i like it, except the logo is too gigantic. i like amps that light up in a cool way. i can do without blue led's on switches but that amp's a cool look other than the logo. and at $1800, that's a pretty good price for a tube amp.

6. Definitely doesn't sound thin from my computer speakers. Sounds REALLY nice to me.

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Dang, that sounds very good--especially the soundclips on their site. And I like the look, though I agree that the logo could stand to be a bit smaller.

I noticed the YT clip is 15 months old. Surely, someone here must have one. Where my TB gear whores at?

8. Sounds & LOOKS great thru MY PC here!!! Hoolie Doolie!!!

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    That's a very slick looking bass amp head, and the control panel is amazing.

Fortunately, I'm happy with my Peavey Microbass ( I don't mean to brag).

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    It does look cool. More metal than most tube amps. I'd love to try one but I already have an SVT-II so I don't need another 300w Ampeg-like head.

11. Would love to hear it with a passive 4... Preferably a P.

12. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
  13. Can someone please post a picture or a link to the web site. (Youtube blocked at work)

Thanks

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you know, there's one thing i don't like about it...chicken head knobs. everyone uses chicken heads. they're the go-to "let's make this amp look vintage" trick, and i don't think it works anymore.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Nice amp!! I listened to the clips on their website (with headphones), and I gotta say that, IMHO, this amp sounds extremely close to an old blueline SVT. It has *THAT* tone! (Btw, the clips on their website are superior to the kinda lame YT vid).

Hand wired? Yeah baby!!

The interior lighting and the clear front plate is kinda cool looking IMO, but the "GRANGER" name is waaaaaaay too big. As nice as this amp sounds, that ridiculously oversized logo name is enough of a turnoff to deter me from considering buying one. Too bad, because I like everything else about this amp.....the tone, the weight, the price, the looks (other than the oversized logo), and did I mention the tone?

If the maker of this amp could make a revised front clear plate with the logo about one-fifth the size of the existing logo, I would buy one of these amps in a heartbeat, no question about it.

EDIT: the only other thing I would change is the 1/4" speaker out jacks. Those are so 70's. Neutrik Speakons are the only way to go IMO. They could employ the combo Speakon jacks that accept either one, but to not accept Speakon connectors in this century is just silly. (IMO of course).

17. SactoBass

JimmyM: you are known in TB land as the Ampeg blueline SVT guru (and also the B-15 guru too, but let's focus on the SVT at the moment). I don't know if you have listened to the clips on the Granger website, but if you have, what is your opinion of the tone of their bass amp as compared to the blueline SVT tone?

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

k

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i listened to them. it has a killer sound for recording, but that's all i could tell you. comparing it to my amp on the basis of a youtube vid would be like comparing muhammad ali in his prime to a recording of mike tyson in his prime.

20. SactoBass

Sorry Jimmy if I wasn't clear. Please ignore the rather lame YT vid. I was referring to the sound clips they have on their website (much better sound quality than the YT vid).