Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coolest Paul McCartney lines?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jun 4, 2002.

1. I'm listening to some Beatles right now in headphones, where you can really hear everything. Some of Paul's lines get a little lost 'cause of the mix, but when you listen in headphones they really come out.

My question: what McCartney lines do you think are the coolest? I was listening to 'Nowhere Man' and didn't realize the bass in that song is way cool! I also like the lines in 'Fixing a Hole', and 'The Word', I'm sure there's others...what do y'all think?

2. I love Day Tripper -- fun one to play too.

3. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I Wan't You (She's so Heavy) from Abbey Road is the reason I play Bass!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    "All My Loving" is considered one of his best. It's also a little weird to play, because you almost have to ignore everyone else. He sails through the root chords without pausing.

5. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i like Rain

very cool bass :D

6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    "Rain" is awesome.

From Sgt. Pepper, look for "a little help from my friends," "Good Morning," and "Sgt. Pepper Reprise"

"Dear Prudence" is also a classic Beatles Bass Line.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, Nowhere Man has a cool line to it, and it's probaly one of my favorite Beatles songs of all time.

My favorite Sir Paul line would have to be Silly Love Songs though. It's everything a good bass line should be: busy, but not over-busy, supports the song, melodic and memorable. Plus his Ric sounds amazing on that track.

8. Saw Her Standing There
    I Want To Hold Your Hand

yeah so sue me :)

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agree with all the above.

The absolute best McCartney line ever is All My Lovin'.

Other notables:

Beatles:
    Something
    Eight Days A Week
    Oh, Darling!
    Helter Skelter
    Come Together
    Awesome!!!!!
    Paperback Writer
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Drive My Car
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Sexy Sadie
    Penny Lane
    AWESOME!!!
    Magical Mystery Tour
    The Ballad Of John And Yoko

Wings/Solo:
    Lonely Road
    My Brave Face
    Love that old Hofner!
    Band on the Run
    Mrs Vandebilt
    Helen Wheels
    Just a non-spectacular running rock and roll bass line but moves the song so well.
    Listen To What The Man Said
    My Love
    Which also features one of the best guitar solos ever played.
    Silly Love Songs Agree with LiquidMidnight. If you don't love this bass line you shouldn't be playing bass. It is the whole song. If it weren't for "All My Lovin'" this would be my favorite.
    Goodnight Tonight
    Bluebird
    Rockshow
    Take It Away

Other:
    Veronica by Elvis Costello

Honestly, pretty much everything he's ever played. :)

Can you tell I'm a big fan?

10. Hmm...

I'm only Sleeping, Dear Prudence, Something, Tomorrow Never Knows, Hello Goodbye, Rain, When I'm 64, A Day in the Life, Rain, Revolution (second version, the one where John says "Out....In"), Michelle...so many more!!!!

11. "Come Together" is great. I just love that bassline :).

12. I'm sure Paul McCartney had a big say, by then, on how his songs we're mixed but, somewhere along the line, someone must have said, "You know Paul, that bass line is really what sets that song apart. I think you should put it way in front in the mix.":p

If only more songs were mixed like that. ;)

13. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    "Lovely Rita" has always been one of my favourites. "Dear Prudence", "Something" and "Come Together" are other masterpieces. "Day Tripper" is great, but I don't think that it qualifies as a true Macca bassline, since he didn't writhe the riff (to my best knowledge!).

:)

14. I want you, and Rain are both on the list of songs that made me want to play bass but I think Old Brown Shoe is my favorite.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's one of my favourite Beatles' tunes(for those who don't know, it's a very Avant Garde piece from Revolver).
    The bass, though...I mean, really, it's just a one-note drone throughout...ain't it? ;)

Some other notes-
    "I Saw Her Standing There"...the bass figure is a direct rip-off from a Chuck Berry guitar pattern. I forget the title(I guess I could look it up; maybe Gruffs or Gweim know). ;)

The method the bass was recorded on "Rain" is pretty cool...was it recorded at one tempo & then slowed down or was the bass de-tuned & then sped up. I forget...nevertheless, it's phat.

"Come Together"...even The Brothers Johnson covered this on their debut record, Lookin' Out For #1.

FWIW, I also love the guitar solo on "My Love".

16. Gets my vote!:)

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Hey Bulldog"
    "You Won't See Me"
    "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite"
    "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
    "Something"

Solo:

"Silly Love Songs"
    "Band on the Run"
    "No More Lonely Nights"

18. That's the point though...feel the rhythm and how it pauses...pulsating and simple. Pure beauty. :)

PS: Revolver is the Greatest:D

19. I think that this bass part paved the way for serious, hard rocking, in your face bass playin'.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "Silly Love Songs."