Coolest, site, ever

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Enter your favorite band (or any band really) and then start clicking and wandering. It's a "visual search engine." Heroin and a half.
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Is there some sort of guide or legend?
  3. This is pretty sweet :bassist: Thanks for sharing.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Whoa! King Crimson to Curtis Mayfield in two steps!

It seems a little strange in the implementation though. Many of the results fly off the edge of the page, and there's no way to scroll our to see them. :meh:
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Very, very cool. I'll even forgive it for some very strange calls... like putting Neil Young as the biggest, most important artist related to Talking Heads... and showing Warren Zevon's popularity to be about the same as David Bowie, Elvis Costello and R.E.M. -- combined!!!

Still, this could prove verrrrry addictive! :cool:
  6. Just click anywhere in the general direction that you'd like to scroll, as long as you don't click on any other artist it will move the page.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ah, cool! Thanks!
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's cool but talkbass is the coolest site ever!
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmmm. Seems like a lot of predetermined links. It seems less like they're giving me ideas of bands that influenced the one, and more bands that people assume are like the other.

For instance, when I put in Harry Connick, Jr., I should get back an area of jazz crooners, sure, but I should also get The Meters, James Booker, Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Stevie Wonder, and more, just on the funk side, then on the piano side there should be specific influences. I put in Tori Amos, and instead of naming people that really are like Tori, or influenced Tori, or the like, I got popular current names, like Alanis Morrissette, Coldplay, and John Maher.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you like that, you will also dig
    Visual Thesaurus

unfortunately though, while VT used to be 100% free, now they want your money, you can still play with it for free on the webpage, but it's like a demo version, eitherway, it's the exact same thing, just with words not bands.
  11. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Cool site, but I don't understand what the size of each artist's little orb is supposed to represent. The bigger the circle, the larger the influence? Or musical/historical importance? or record sales? Or what? And I can't tell if the differences in color are supposed to mean anything.

Neat idea though.
  12. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Never mind, I just found the explanation under the help screen. The bigger the circle, the more influential or more representative of the musical style the artist is.

I wonder if this could be open-content -- users could add bands to the system and vote as to how influential/representative a group is?